Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
id help! is this a heath?

Posted by lwfevelyn (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 08 at 18:54

hi! i have no idea wad this plant is..its a cut flower..blue flowers and spiny leaves, that i just bought.. can it be propagated from cuttings? seens to be erica,protea or heath.and how to take care of it.thanks lots.

picture: pls click on link..
can be found at name that plant forum too with url:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/namegal/msg0205292322469.html?5

Here is a link that might be useful: blue flowers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: id help! is this a heath?

I was a florist for twenty years and have never seen anything like that. No clue what it is, but it isn't a protea or a heath.

o

The plant you have is a Berzelia Baubles & is a South African plant. They come in many colors, white, blue, pink, yellow, green, etc. & are used in the floral industry. I've seen them used in brides bouquets, corsages,& has a cut flower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Berzelia, Proteas and Leucadendrons

o

It's Berzelia lanuginosa and it's been dyed that colour. They are naturally sort of creamy beige.

o
woman Health

Half the human population consists of women. That means, that in excluding women from your sample, you are excluding women ...

There are many ways in which the female body was viewed, historically. However, as I understand it, one predominant model was seeing women as castrated males. We do not have a penis. Therefore it is missing, right? And women have this "womb" instead, prone to making them hysterical and irrational.

This is, for obvious reasons, not an appropriate way of thinking of the female body, if you are actually trying to offer helpful and relevant remedies, for female specific problems.

If women are excluded from health research, you are returning to the woman as castrated male model. You are saying that anything that works for men, works for women but to a lesser degree. There is no need to study women's bodies, because women are a secondary version of men.

Also, the idea that women need to be kept on shelves like porcelain figurines, because of the possibility that they could be pregnant, or become pregnant, is chauvinistic and outdated. In all due respect, in recent history (medieval, renaissance, 18th, 19th centuries) a lot of remedies were dangerous, and I understand their motivations. They actually did want to protect women and their unborn babies from abortion-inducing, or birth-defect-creating herbs, etc.

But in today's world, that is less relevant because we know so much more about the effects of different chemicals and therapies due to previous testing.

In order to understand women, we need to study women. We need to study how women's bodies and women's emotions react to different variables. There is no other way.

The disadvantage is ... that you also need to work with people who have the potential to become pregnant. You need to study them too, because they are a crucial link, in human development. However there might be ethical risks.

Solution: get a wide study sample. If you are not controlling for reproductive-related questions, select participants who are using a reliable form of contraception.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://unveiledarts.com/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here