Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennahw_gw

so...are they dead?

jennahw
16 years ago

See pics. I got these on super-clearance last summer, and they were mostly brown but each had about 1/3 green foliage around the center. No tags, so I don't know specifics (I actually thought they were juniper). Asked around and was told to leave on the dead bits over the winter, so I did that and covered them up pretty well with dead leaves. They turned a nice red over winter. I trimmed them some when it got warmer (not too harshly, so there is still some brown), but they don't seem to want to bloom. They are still green/red.

I got 2 more heath/heathers that are in lovely bloom since we decided to expand the garden - do my clearance ones just need a year to recover before blooming? should I trim them waaaay back? They are in a well-drained (sloped) location, but I will admit they may not be planted quite as deep as they should be, because when they were planted in the fall the ground was ROCK hard.

so...are they dead and I need to replace 'em, or do they just need some pruning and recovery time?

PICS:

{{gwi:847724}}

{{gwi:871799}}

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner