Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cranebill

Heath & Haether FAQ : What questions should it address?

cranebill
19 years ago

Hi,

What questions should a FAQ for this new forum address? We need your input. Thanks.

cranebill

Comments (10)

• missleslieann
    19 years ago

It would be nice if it included facts like where it will grow, how or if to fertilize, common pests or diseases, and how to take cuttings, propogate. How it does in the landscape vs containers. Yeah!

• Rachaelfish
    19 years ago

Well-it could include many things- i think soil requirements. etc acid soil, no nitrogen, etc, would be good faq-will have to think a while.

• joy4me
    19 years ago

Also, placement in the garden, winter protection and what to do if there is winter damage. eg. if there is some green after winter, cut all the way back or trim back to green? Different coverings that can be used for winter protection.

Difference between Heath and Heather.

• cranebill
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. They give me enough to start putting the FAQ together. Please keep your questions coming.

cranebill

• DrewBklyn
    19 years ago

I think something about differing blooms times might be useful, just so potential heather/heath gardeners are aware of their options. As a newbie, I was delighted to learn of winter heaths that do indeed bloom Nov/Dec through May; careful selection of plants in a grouping allows for the potential to always have a heath or heather blooming, year-round.

• dirtmonkey
    19 years ago

Areas of the world they're native to?

• Anne12
    18 years ago

I would like to have someone address: rooting cuttingsof heath/heather. Also what is the best method? Anne12

• BruMeta
    18 years ago

Great idea and excellent suggestions so far.

Trawling this forum will give ideas, too. For instance, sooooo many questions about "sickly" heathers from those (always, it seems) who fail to cover their heathers over winter.

Additionally,
    1. Tips about shearing them in late winter (and then recovering them until about mid spring in the North). [Rockspray Nursery gives very good horticultural advice. So does Heaths and Heathers.]
    2. Their U.S. zonal ranges, but with inclusive info of how well they do in various parts of the country, i.e., those with high humidity vs. those with more arid conditions
    3. Rates of growth (generally or with specific examples; for instance, 'Velvet Fascination' has been a slow grower for me compared to others I grow).
    4. Appropriate and reputable mail-order sources (E. coast/W.coast).

It is commendable that you are taking this on. If you want any help, email me.

• cranebill
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey, BruMeta!

Commendable?? Hardly, considering my initial posting was well over a year ago, and no FAQ to date. Thanks for being so gracious, though. There are a lot of good suggestions posted here, certainly enough for a pretty thorough treatment when the FAQ is written that answers the questions people have posed. I'm resolving to finally get to work on this project and to finish it by around late October/early November. I'll no doubt benefit from your advice and knowledge, BruMeta, so thanks for the offer of help; emails from me should be forthcoming.

Any more suggestions for FAQ content from anyone else out there? Thanks all.

cranebill

• buyorsell888
    18 years ago

One thing I see mentioned over and over on this site is Mexican Heather which isn't a heath or heather at all.

2. Some cultivars are supposed to turn brown or a different color in winter.

3. pruning/shearing instructions

4. soil preparation

5. climate zones/appropriate zones and information for each zone. For example here in Portland we do not have to cover our heathers in winter. They grow like weeds here.

6. differences between heath and heathers. Heathers are all Calluna vulgaris hybrids but there are many different species in the Genus Erica with differing care and requirements.

Sponsored
Emmons Residential Construction Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Building Solid, Beautiful & Unique Living Spaces in Rocky Mount, VA