Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please talk me into buying this Heather? ;)

Posted by tenderheart_zone5 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 22, 06 at 11:05

Hi, Everyone--

How nice that there's a forum just for this! This is the message I posted at the Cottage forum yesterday. In short, I saw a big pot of pink Heather at a store yesterday and am trying to decide whether to buy it.

I'm in zone 5, Pennsylvania, and have part-shade in my garden. I'm not interested in this one if I'll have to keep it in a container. Thank you for any ideas as to whether this will work and/or any tips on caring for it. I really love this one; I hope it's something that would do well for me here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please talk me into buying this Heather? ;)

Val---
Hi Friend! I've just recently discovered the beauty of heathers and have a (large) great spot for them.
Let us know here or CG if you caved-in and bought your PINK heather. Aren't they gorgeous? I can see them floating down my drive and crossing over.

Love pink too,and purple and white and red, georgeanne

o

Please beware, there are gorgeous heather plants that are sold as potted blooming plants to florists and especially mass market floral departments that are not true heathers, Calluna vulgaris they are Erica persoluta and are native to South Africa and are not hardy in most of the USA. They are gorgeous but should be considered as temporary like cut flowers.

In PA you need to be buying heather from a grower who specializes in garden plants such as Rock Spray Nursery in MA or Heaths and Heathers in Washington

$13 is a high price too.

o

Thanks again, geo & buyorsell. :)

o

would like to know if I can plant my Erica Heathers out side and of so in the sun or shade, would like to plant it right a way. thank you.
karen

o

What species of Erica are they? Erica what?

All heaths and heathers prefer full sun. Some potted Ericas are not hardy.

o

I am in zone 5a and have my heathers in full sun. They like acid soils, being planted deep, and being watered when it is too dry. I found out that Ericas will not survive in my garden. All my heathers are Calluna vulgaris, and I usually bought them at Rockspray Nursery in Truro, Mass, also when I was vacationing there on Cape Cod. I have white, bright red and purplish blooming callunas, some with yellow foliage, love them. They are nice companion plants to dwarf conifers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here