Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No shipping to California

Posted by Msjoyceh No. Cal. Coast (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 04 at 11:37

I have a few heathers that I was able to buy at nursery here. I would like to get some different varieties. I stopped and talked to a local gardener who has a lovely display in her yard. She told me that she bought from local heather society when they had garden tours. None of the online resources ship to California. Buying them here is like pulling teeth. I am so disappointed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No shipping to California

Any possibility for you to plant swap with gardeners in your area? There are forums for trades and exchanges on GardenWeb. I'd only worry about introducing any heathers from too far outside your area, as there's probably a good reason why shipping to California's prohibited. In fact, I'm very curious about this. Do you happen to know why? Are heathers a vector for some plant pathogen or something?

o

California has extremely restrictive policies regarding shipping in plants from other states. It's because agriculture is a major part of the economy there. They are worried all the time about introducing agricultural pests and diseases.

I used to live there. Four of my children and all of my grandchildren live there now. I think sometimes about moving back for that reason, but if I do, I won't be able to bring any of my plants with me.

Jennifer

o

Msjoyceh,
I do not know if you are close to San Francisco but Strybing Arboretum always offers some Heathers at their monthly plant sale. Also, I see some occasionally at a nursery that I shop at in Sonoma county. If that is close to you, feel free to email me and I can give you some names.

o

We planted a fairly large heather garden ( 1 plus acres ) up on the Mendocino coast a couple of years ago and had a large quantity shipped to us via UPS from Heath and Heathers ( out of state.... either Washington or Oregon ) .

no problems.

o

recently visited the heather garden that was installed a couple years ago in Mendocino county in the town of Gualala.

Most of the heathers came from Heath and Heather Co. and were shipped by UPS to the site.

Since the installation of the garden, the homeowner and her gardener have taken several 45 minute long drives up the coast into the town of Ft. Bragg and Mendocino and have purchased some additonal heathers and dwarf conifers.

I beleive they purchased the heathers from Digging Dog nursery .

photos are uploaded in the landscape designGALLERY forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here