Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanw_4wi

Source for Erica

nanw_4wi
19 years ago

Hi all.

I'm looking for a source for Erica plants, mailorder is fine, since no one near me offers any plants.

I googled without much luck....many sources have 1 type...no selection or photos.

Any leads appreciated...Thanks!

Comments (7)

• mtilton
    19 years ago

You can buy Erica seeds at Fine Bush People for 10 cents a seed. They are based in South Africa. For Calluna, Erica, Daboecia, Cassiope and others in the Ericaceae family, try Heaths and Heathers. Another good source is Highland Heather, where you can request a free catalog.

• BruMeta
    19 years ago

Since you are east of the Rockies, you probably will save on shipping costs from this first-rate nursery that exclusively grows and sells heaths (Erica) and heathers (Calluna). Knowledgeable, helpful, reliable sellers of healthy plants from Cape Cod.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rockspray

• nanw_4wi
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks so much for the great links, I appreciate it!

Now I'm off shopping...will likely be back!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    19 years ago

Nan -

If you're serious about growing heathers, you will want to check out your soil pH by taking a sample to the local cooperative extention or the U of WI or whoever locally does soil testing. Probably why there aren't heathers locally for you is that much of the midwest is not acidic enough for them. (They are common here in nurseries and even the grocery store!) If your soil isn't suitable (they need somewhat acidic, well-drained, but not really dry soils) you may need to build a raised bed for them.

• nanw_4wi
    Original Author
    19 years ago

You're probably right, now that I think of it.
    But...when there's a will there's a way!!

I recently received a few in a trade from a nice woman in MIchigan, so I figure if she can grow them, maybe I can, with some soil amendments.

A couple of years ago I spoke to a man at a nearby nursery who'd said they grow them (about 15 miles from me!). They had tried them several years in a row with no success until they made their soil just complete and total 'crap', as he called it.

So, I'm prepared to give it a shot with a little work....the raised bed may be a solid option right now....thanks for the advice!

• birdtalker
    18 years ago

I use the site rockspray.com in MA. they have a lot of pictures and information.

• bozemeier
    11 years ago

I live in Zone 6 and I would like to plant some Heather for my Mother. She always liked seeing Heather on TV usually in scenes from movies filmed in "The Old Country". It doesn't have to actually be Scots/Scottish Heather as long as it is Evergreen and can grow in Zone 6. It seems there is a Summer AND a Winter Heather? I do have items to trade. Mostly seeds but I do have access to many live plants as well.

Thank you,

bozemeier

Jon Meier
    320 Fieldcrest Dr
    Red Bud, IL 62278