Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spring blooming heather protect from temps below 32 degrees????

Posted by Feather_Inc z8 AR (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 15, 04 at 18:22

I was at the grocery store today and found a beautiful purple heather in a pot on sale for 1.99. I've been wanting some of these so naturally I snatched it up right away. On the tab is says to keep it in the shade and protect it from tempuratures below 32 degrees. Ok I was under the impression these were pretty cold tolerant. I bought it anyway, but am I going to have to dig it up come winter? also, do they produce seeds and if so are they easy to sow?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spring blooming heather protect from temps below 32 degrees??

i did the same thing last season and it didn't come back. apparently there is a hardy version AND a mexican version. i'll just assume that is what i got and that is why it's didn't survive my zone 6 winter.

Friz

o

• Posted by johnpdd z5? NW Indiana (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 18, 04 at 16:23

Many heather are from Africa and are intollerant of cold.

o

Is there a species listed on that tag?

o

I have a spring Heather the Erica Persoluta version. I would love to put it in the garden for spring color, I am in Indiana and it gets very cold in the winter here. Can this version withstand the winter cold?

o

Erica persoluta is a true Heath (unlike Mexican Heather) but it is native to South Africa.

Can be planted outside only in the warmest zones with NO frost.

This is a common plant grown for the florist trade because it is very showy and beautiful. You find it at Home Depot and other big box stores in addition to grocery stores. Nurseryman's Exchange and Hana Bay and Por La Mar nurseries in the Bay Area of California grow it and widely distribute it.

o

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread, but from what I understand, heathers need a period of dormancy, but most cannot tolerate frost. If so, then what temperatures would be adequate to induce dormancy? Sorry for all the questions!

-Audric

o

Audric, most heaths and heathers are quite frost tolerant - Calluna vulgaris, probably the most hardy of the heather/heath species, is typically considered hardy to zone 4, with some cultivars listed to zone 3. Ericas offer a wider range, with E. carnea considered the toughest, but these as a whole tend to be less hardy. Mulching in winter or with a good snow cover will increase viability.

Here in the PNW, where we can experience some good hard frosts and occasional winters down to the teens, most of the heaths and heathers, except for the most tender forms, require no winter protection. Temperatures consistantly in the 40's should be sufficient for inducing dormancy, but most of the winter blooming heathers - as evergreen subshrubs - never go fully dormant.

o

Hello Gardengal! Thank you for the quick response.

I believe I have a heather, (C. vulgaris?), as it has scaly foliage, not needles. I know that they are definitely not houseplants, which makes me rethink my decision in purchasing a little heather. However, it is for my balcony which I can either open to the elements or close up and semi-control the temperature. I may close it up for winter and keep it around 40F.

Thank you again for the response!

-Audric

o

If you do have Calluna Vulgaris (Scotch Heather or Ling) it should be hardy to zone 4 or colder with protection. That said I would suggest that a young plant particularly on a balcony will need to be protected from drying winds (cover with a tent of pine branches) and apply a mulch to the soil. In the spring cut back last years flowering branches just below the old flowers. Lush new growth will start at the point where you cut so be brave and don't allow your plant to become too leggy. kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here