Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting potted heather in zone 5

Posted by bphillps 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 4, 10 at 20:33

I bought a potted heather and I want to transplant it in my garden, but the tag says its best in zones 9 - 11. Should I go ahead with it or forget about it? If go ahead, what area of the garden would be best?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting potted heather in zone 5

Either the tag is dead wrong or what you bought is not a Heather. Yes, they survive in zone 5. They live in Northern Europe.

They like acidic well-draining soil. Pure clay is no good. I'd amend your soil with some peat moss and sand. Make sure it gets sun.

o
RE: What is the Cultivar???

Whoa, I assumed all Heathers were cold-hardy, apparently there are Southern European varieties as well. You will need to research the particular cultivar you bought.
If you purchased it at a local nursery in zone 5 then it SHOULD be a hardy variety; if not return it and complain LOUDLY that they should not be selling zone 9 Heathers when there are so many nice zone 5 Heathers available.

o

I would return this Heather also if it is not zone hardy here. Before buying any Heath/Heathers you really need to know your soil PH. You can buy a device at the box stores and they are reasonable - around $5. Soil PH will tell you what type you can have. I am typical Ohio with clay soil and neutral soil bordering on alkaline. I can only use certain Heath's here but mine look great and to boot they are on my SW side so lots of sun and open to quite a bit of winter winds. I did not amend my soil. I lost a few the first winter but it's been great since then. Why battle soil amendments forever when you can just buy some that are alkaline tolerant. I got mine online for a source of what I needed.
Cher

o

There ARE potted heaths sold in floral departments and big box stores usually with colored foil on them that are NOT hardy past zones 9-11.

Erica persoluta hybrids are what they are and they are grown for florist potted color not for landscape plants.

These are very colorful but are meant to be tossed or dried when they are done blooming.

Here is a link that might be useful: florist potted

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here