Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtmonkey_gw

Dark green, tiny leaves, good in containers?

dirtmonkey
20 years ago

I'm making up a planting of rocks to sort of look like cliffs on the Oregon coast. After puzzling for a long time I finally relized that some kind of heather would probably be able to fill in as tiny shore pine forests, IF it's dark green, easy to trim small, and does well in containers. Bloom isn't really important here, but I'd prefer flowers not be big and showy since they wouldn't look much like pines at all then! I'd like a darker green than real pines too, the real ones look very dark at a distance most of the time.

I can make an organic, acid soil if needed, and moisture would be good because the stems would extend down the back of the rocks and between them so they can have a good root run. Being portable (sort of) I could locate it anywhere the sun/shade conditions are good.

Any ideas for which type would fit the need best? I hope so, I'm out of ideas for other kinds of plants that might work. Can't do real pine bonsai, it's too big. Other evergreens just didn't look right.

Thanks!

Vincent

Comments (10)

• hardrockkid
    20 years ago

Wow, sounds like a wild project!

How big is this whole thing, and how big of a container are you talking?

• dirtmonkey
    Original Author
    20 years ago

LOL Not so much a wild project, more a realxing and calming one. Well, OK, wild. :)

I think the tray will be about 2 to 3 feet long, I haven't made it yet. Length depends on how much 'ocean' I have to add for a balanced look. I'll be trying for a closer more foreshortened view so it doesn't get too huge.

The rocks are mostly flat on the back side, so the floor can extend upward behind them to make the 'invisible' planter. That could hold varying amounts of mix depending on how it's built. If I end up using a small sedum (the poor third or fourth choice), I'll just barely need the cracks between the rocks to plant in. If I plant something ericaceous though, I'll put the wall further back so that I can get a bigger load of softer soil in there.

So what's the finest needle-like darkest green foliage you've seen?

Vincent

• hardrockkid
    20 years ago

I still can't visualize the thing... how big is the whole "coast" and "cliff" area?? I certainly hope you'll post a photo when you're done (or as it's coming along -- sounds like it might be a long time until it's 'done').

Realize, I am no expert here... but I would think an E.carnea would be the way to go. They are generally low-growing, and since they flower in winter, you could prune late summer and wipe out the flower buds completely. (One thing you don't want is a real 'heather' [Calluna sp]).

When I get home, I'll take a look at the few Ericas I have and see if any look like pine trees! (chuckles to self)

How close are you to Shelton WA? That is the home of heathsandheathers.com, and they are opening up for public (in-person) sales this year. Maybe you could browse the whole lot.

Otherwise, take a look at these listings... the foliage color and winter foliage are included. Unfortunately for your situation, the photos generally are of the plant in flower.

Here is a link that might be useful: E.Carneas

• cranebill
    20 years ago

I'd also recommend Heaths and Heathers Nursury (the same website as above) or maybe also Rock Spray as a source of advice. Lots of people posting on this forum order from these nurseries. Customer service can probably suggest exactly the variety you're looking for. You might also check the photos and descriptions on the online catalogs. Sorry I can't give you any other suggestions. My collection to date is tiny and there are hundreds of varieties out there.

Your project is inspired. Please let us know how it works out.

cranebill

• dirtmonkey
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hi Cranebill & Rockhard-

I went to go look at the sites, too hard to tell from the photos. You're right, they do focus on grown plants with flowers, not many people are interested in close up branch and leaf structure LOL.

I'll try to get a picture of the rocks tomorrow. The visible foliage of the heath(er)s will need to be sheared to only an inch or two tall by several inches wide. But the parts behind the rocks can extend the total growth to larger than that.

I just remembered that there's a seasonal nursery near here (in Aloha, OR) which always carries several dwarves, things that only grow into little tiny bushed for containers and rock gardens. I'd forgotten those. Most were fancy variegated types but they might have some tiny dark green varieties that would be nice. Miniature/dwarf varieties would probably take longer to train to where I want them though, maybe not. I'll go check on those soon too.

Vincent

• cranebill
    20 years ago

Hey DirtMonkey,

May I suggest Calluna vulgaris "Nana"? Its a dwarf with very dark green foliage. It grows 6" tall and spreads (slowly) to about 12". I just referred to it in a response to the "Share your favorite!" post, and it occurred to me it might suit your needs. The color of the foliage always reminds me of conifers (even before I happened to read your post). It's that deep shadowy forest green, like in a hemlock forest.

Curious...do you happen to know what species of pines grow on the Oregon Coast? I mean the ones you're trying to similate?

Thanks

cranebill

• dirtmonkey
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks! I see a few 'Nana' and 'Nana Compacta' online- some look brighter green. Do you know where yours came from originally? It does sound just about right to me!

It's the native Shore Pine I'm referring to, Pinus contorta var. 'Contorta'. The one that looks more like big dark bushes at the tops of bluffs and right up to the edges of cliffs over the ocean. They almost make thickets more than forests, like a bunch of big Mugho pines, just different close up. Interestingly it is the same species as the Lodgepole Pine, but a dwarf subspecies of it. They look nothing alike at a distance.

Here is a photo of the rocks, with a "gallon" nursery pot for scale. Nothing to look at now, just rocks. they'll be arranged into a tray of gravel and have small plants and moss growing on them soon. The big rock is actually almost flat on the back side, and only a few inches thick. There is room to build up invisible planting space behind it since it will be displayed at nearly eye level.

{{gwi:871834}}

Below is a link to a webpage of good pictures of Oregon coast views, that I just found on the 'net. I couldn't find one of the particular shore pine thickets I'm thinking of, which are found in nearby areas. This isn't a literal interpretation anyway, more of a conglomerate of my up-close-and-personal experiences of certain times and places on the coast. The website link pretty well sums up the visuals, minus the up close part. (But no, I do not eat environmentalists; I am one.)

Vincent

Here is a link that might be useful: The Oregon Coast

• cranebill
    20 years ago

Mine is simply "Nana". From what I can gather, "Nana compacta" is identical is size and habit but foliage is bright green, not dark, and it's more floriferous - not what you're looking for. The "Nana" is what you're looking for.

I got my specimen from Heaths and Heathers Nursery. Just looked at their website, and it seems less accessible than formerly. Seems they've changed it a bit, and it's harder to access the photos. I think I'll spring for the $1.50 charge for a print catalog so I can examine all the photos and descriptions in a more easily referenced form.

Anyway, forgo the "Nana compacta". It's not what you need. I looked at some of the photos on the link you provided. "Nana" is exactly that color green of the plants on the tops of the bluffs. It should work nicely.

Thanks for the information about the botany of the area.

cranebill

• dirtmonkey
    Original Author
    20 years ago

---cranebill wrote:
    > The "Nana" is what you're looking for.

perfect, thank you. will check on that and on E. carnea cvs. locally so I can look at them up close before trying to order online or take a long trip.

I'm glad you two are here watching this forum :)

Vincent

• hardrockkid
    19 years ago

DirtMonk! I got it! The perfect plant for you is "Velvet Night" E. Cinerea. I checked mine out, and damn, the spikes *do* look like mini-pine trees!

You'd have to prune to avoid summer flowers, but I don't think that would be tough (don't know what the best timing would be for that).

I am hoping to pick up a digi camera soon, and if so, I'll shoot a pic of my mini-pines for you.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer