Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Italian Heather

Posted by stephanie_kay 5a (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 08 at 9:00

I was wondering if anyone here every heard of Italian Heather and if so the care that is needed for one. My sister got one from her Grandson yesterday but there was no care card with it. I myself have not heard of it and really find nothing on the internet so I thought I would ask here.

Thanks in advance,
Stephanie K

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Italian Heather

Sorry, never heard of it.

o

I just got one today at Lowe's for 50 cents because it had been over watered and almost dead. They are a Tropical Plant that needs full sun and VERY well draining soil. They said they cannot handle having their roots wet and that you pretty much just ignore them. I don't know if mine will live, but hope this info helps for yours. :)

o

Was it tagged with Latin name?

Likely it is not an Erica or Calluna.

Erica persoluta is grown as a potted gift plant and isn't hardy outdoors in most of the USA but it needs a lot of water and not being ignored. Should be tossed after it is done blooming in most cases.

o

Check this out that I found on the web. I gave one to a friend for May Day. she loved it. Here is a site that tells all about the plant and how to care for it. http://www.gardenguides.com/84832-italian-heather-plant-care.html

o

I have never heard of Mediterranean heather (Erica darleyensis) called Italian heather. I sure hate common names....

IF this is what the OP is asking about, they are not tropical plants but are hardy heaths. Mediterranean Pink and Mediterranean White are two of the most commonly sold heather plants in big box stores and nurseries.

They are not houseplants and should be planted outdoors in full sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here