Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
not sick, just not growing?!

Posted by Catlet Ireland (Louth) (My Page) on
Mon, May 24, 04 at 11:17

We were given 4 heathers in a rectangular pot 3 months ago as a housewarming present (and I have to say, of all the presents we got they were by far my favourite! we'd never gardened before but since getting those 4 plants the first thing i do every evening when i get home from work is run out to see how they're doing - along with the 10 tomato plants, kilmarnock willow, and hundreds of seedlings we now have in pots! i dread to think what i'll be like when the building rubble is dug out of the garden and i can put things in the ground! : )
anyway, 3 of the heathers are doing beautifully - they're 3 times the size they were 3 months ago. the 4th is proving a bit more problematic. it hasn't grown much at all - there's between half an inch and an inch of new growth on each branch, compared to the 3 or 4 inches on the others. i've no idea what varieties they are (there wasn't a label in the pot when we got it) so i don't know what the plant is likely to be looking for. has anyone any ideas? or even suggestions on how to identify the plants - they're all different and i'd like to know what they are.
thanks,
cat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: not sick, just not growing?!

What gets called 'heather' is a quite varied group of plants -- mostly true heathers (genus Calluna) and the heaths (species/hybrids of genus Erica). They have very different mature sizes, and different growth rates.

So... what I'm saying is that if the little/slow growing one looks healthy and has new growth all around, it is very likely to be FINE - just a smaller variety.

As for identifying them, I suspect you'll need to watch them over the course of a year to get enough info... even then, you might not be absolutely sure. Factors that you'll want to know to narrow things down are:

- time of bloom
- bloom color
- summer foliage color
- winter foliage color
- color of new growth ("spring tips")

At this point, you probably could determine whether they are Callunas or Ericas... Callunas don't exactly have leaves; their "foliage" is sort of like fine scale. Ericas have more fine, needle-like foliage.

Two heath & heather nurseries with on-line information include:

www.heathsandheathers.com and
www.rockspray.com

Finally... sounds like you got the Garden Bug!! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here