Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does heath or heather do well in poorer, dryer soil?

Posted by three4rd (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 07 at 13:18

I have a sloped bed that has always been covered for the most part with spreading junipers. Lately, the junipers seem to be dying out. I'm thinking of replacing them with something different that would provide some color. Would heath or heather be a good choice as a ground cover? We have basically shale - dry soil with lots of rocks and stones only a short distance under the topsoil. And, we live on a hill so there is lots of wind. Any suggestions for replacing the juniper - please let me know.

Thanks,
Keith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does heath or heather do well in poorer, dryer soil?

While they want well drained soil, if it is really dry, then you would have to water. They aren't very drought tolerant.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 23, 10 at 5:34

I know this is an old post, but three4rd doesn't give a zone, location, or an acknowledgment of replies. Not cool.

o

Wow! This is an old post!

Oh well, still this is a good question and my opinion is that they will grow in such soil if a lot of peat moss and organic matter (leaf mould, compost) are added into the soil - make the hole at least 3 times as large as the plant because they do spread very wide over time (many years). And mulch very well.

Mine are totally exposed to the sun and wind, and occasionally they look crappy because of it, but this year after record snowfall and record rainfall this Spring they have never looked better (mine are almost 15 years old - the one fully exposed to wind and sun is HUGE; the one in partial shade is half the size).

I'm assuming here that this person lived in a temperate zone, not the desert.

o

natschultz,
I am thinking of growing heather because I thought it would grow well in poor clay soil. It appears that maybe I should not grow it. I want something for my hot Missouri weather that will look good through the summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here