Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hardrockkid

It's 'half dead' !

hardrockkid
19 years ago

I planned to add my experience in the 'winter damage' thread, but my babies had an additional problem to deal with last fall: a Golden Retriever puppy trying to pound them to a pulp. That issue is now solved, and (as you know!) spring is here.

Those 'babies' are a variety of calluna, e.carnea and e.cinerea planted last fall; most were small at planting (3.5" or 4.5" pots) (shipping that many gallons too expensive for me!!). Thankfully, I think I only lost one. I had several with the 'few dead twigs' look that others have described, but they are all sprouting growth tips.

ANYWAY, here's the thing: One carnea is 'half dead' -- it looks great in a half circle, and nothing at all (not even twigs) on the other side. Will it regain it's form? Should I prune the growing side to encourage growth the other way? (I've been reluctant to do so, wanting it to grow as much as possible this season -- in whatever direction).

Thanks for any input. Although I'm pretty new to gardening, and brand new (as of last year) to H&Hs, these rapidly became some of my favorite plants. I can't wait till my heather bed is all filled out, and I have faith that it will be!

Comments (4)

Sponsored