Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's 'half dead' !

Posted by hardrockkid z6 (PA) (My Page) on
Tue, May 4, 04 at 13:35

I planned to add my experience in the 'winter damage' thread, but my babies had an additional problem to deal with last fall: a Golden Retriever puppy trying to pound them to a pulp. That issue is now solved, and (as you know!) spring is here.

Those 'babies' are a variety of calluna, e.carnea and e.cinerea planted last fall; most were small at planting (3.5" or 4.5" pots) (shipping that many gallons too expensive for me!!). Thankfully, I think I only lost one. I had several with the 'few dead twigs' look that others have described, but they are all sprouting growth tips.

ANYWAY, here's the thing: One carnea is 'half dead' -- it looks great in a half circle, and nothing at all (not even twigs) on the other side. Will it regain it's form? Should I prune the growing side to encourage growth the other way? (I've been reluctant to do so, wanting it to grow as much as possible this season -- in whatever direction).

Thanks for any input. Although I'm pretty new to gardening, and brand new (as of last year) to H&Hs, these rapidly became some of my favorite plants. I can't wait till my heather bed is all filled out, and I have faith that it will be!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's 'half dead' !

I have a couple looking this way too-I pruned back the tips of the dead side and watered more-but I don't know....

o

Yes, prune. Your plant should come back this summer. (Let us know.)

Before next winter sets in, cover your heaths and heathers with evergreen boughs to protect them from winter sun and windthe highly possible causes of this years problem.

o

Hmmm, yes, I noticed that the side of the plants to die is the side that was exposed-the living side is against a stone pot and fence and is quite green.

o

Karla Lortz (H&H.com) also recommended pruning.

So, I trimmed the growth tips on the live side. I think it will do fine... just not too sure what its ultimate shape will be!

Ooh, cinereas starting to bloom already here!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here