Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hardrockkid

Since it hasn't appeared yet: Share your favorite!

hardrockkid
19 years ago

Let's hear it! What's your fave??

As I mentioned in another post, I'm new to H&Hs (and it's interesting that many others here seem to be as well) -- I haven't even seen mine through 1 full year yet, so naming my "favorite" now is probably a bit crazy. But, at this point, I have to say that "Celebration" E. cinerea is knocking me out! That bright golden foliage is incredible, and it's just now starting with it's white flowers.

It's a surprise to me that I'm liking this the best, because I am a big purple guy.

Not sure this photo really does justice. If/when I finally get a digi camera, I'll try posting mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Celebration' E.cinerea at H&H

Comments (8)

• cranebill
    19 years ago

I've been watching your post for a while, and since no one else has responded yet, guess I'll just try and help get it going. I have only a small collection so far, so I hesitated to post a response. But even from among the nine varieties I've got it's hard to pick a favorite. I decided to grow heaths and heathers primarily for the foliage. I was thinking I might simulate some of the colors of the expanses of blueberry bogs we have in Pennsylvania. Blueberries are not ericaceous, I know, but there are native heaths and heathers that grow in masses along with the blueberries in these bogs and produce spectacular fields of color, especially in fall. I have also visited the Southern Cape Penninsula in South Africa several times to admire the heaths native to that area. Again, the colors of these plants - glowing and subtle at the same time - are part of what got me interested in heaths. The way that heath and heather foliage catches and reflects light at different times of day and in different seasons is amazing to me. Sorry to have gone off topic.

Anyway, my favorites from my collection are Erica carnea "Bell's Extra Special" for its whiskey-colored foliage flecked orange and gold in winter. It has reddish purple flowers, and spring growth is bright green. My favorite Calluna vulgaris is "Nana" with very dark green foliage and lavender flowers. Both of these are dwarfs, reaching only 6" tall, but "Nana" is especially diminutive-looking owing to its very tiny, exquisite foliage.

Even if I could boast a large collection, I would still be limited in my direct experience with growing these plants, as there are so many varieties. I wonder if people find it difficult to identify favorites just for that reason? In any case, I would like to hear what others' favorites are, too. Interesting post.

Thanks,

cranebill

• dirtmonkey
    19 years ago

Cranebill since you mentioned the post I had to come look...
    > "Blueberries are not ericaceous"...

But yes, Ericaceous they are! So you're not off topic that far there :)

I had a favorite but I've never grown it. It's a dwarf, and it has amazing variegated foliage in spring, like cream, and hot pink, and chartreuse. I keep thinking the name had "Aurora" in it, but that might only be because I was reminded of the auroras. I've only seen it in dwarf specialty and bonsai material displays.

HardrockKid sorry I got your handle wrong in another post, but at least I now know to look for a big purple guy at the plant sales. Heheh

Vincent

• hardrockkid
    Original Author
    19 years ago

>>since no one else has responded yet, guess I'll just try and help get it going

Thanks! I was getting tired of seeing it sitting up there at the top myself.

I'll have to check out 'Nana.' I have a hole right in the front of my heather bed where I lost one (newly planted in fall) over the winter.

I am suspecting that alot of folks are new to heath/heather and maybe that's a reason for absence of favorites.

As for YOU, MONKEYDIRT -- I thought you were just spoofing, reversing my handle in that other post. Which, as you can see, is dangerous business with a name like yours!! ;)

And after I'd re-read my original post, where the purple comment sounds a little different than intended, I wondered if I was going to get any big purple guy cracks! But yes, it has been a problem for me all my life... all those 'people-eater' whispers...

• cranebill
    19 years ago

rockhardkid and monkeydirt,

I've been laughing out loud! My wit is not comparable to yours so early in the day and I won't even attempt to be clever, but dang that was funny.

hardrockkid,

Thanks for the correction. Seems I once knew that blueberries were in the Heath family, but I guess I was having a lapse.

cranebill

• DrewBklyn
    19 years ago

I think it's true that a lot of us are just getting going with our heath/heather gardens, so it may be early to declare personal favorites from personal experience. I planted a bunch last September to bloom all year round, so I haven't even seen 'em all bloom yet! But I will say I have yet to see a heath/heather plant I didn't like. From personal experience, Furzey, Darley Dale and Anne Sparkes were already in bloom when snow began to melt, and all are beauties. Anne Sparkes isn't a large plant, but its foliage changes color from a green/golden to being tinged with bronze/red. The fuchsia blooms on it are really something. But now Irish Lemon (Erica x. Stuarti) is loaded with purple balloon blossoms and looking great, and a simple purple "bell heather" (Erica Cinerea, so actually a heath I guess) that I bought from Lowe's is completely covered with deep purple blooms -- really an eye-catcher. But then, I just bought a nice looking Spring Torch and Devon from Home Depot. The Devon has fantastic, elegant little double flowers, white on the inside and purple/deep pink on the outside. Much more subtle than the erica cinerea, but beautiful. And once my others bloom, I may have more favorites...! ;-)

• scooty
    19 years ago

I like Minima Smith's Variety. I just got it, so I don't know it very well, but it sure is a cute little furball.

• catchef
    19 years ago

I love my curled roundstone, and multicolor, and gold haze.I also have a new heath and heather bed.This is it's second season. We got off to a rough start, losing quite a few plants after an exceptionally cold winter. Things seem to be doing quite well now.

• rebeccanne
    19 years ago

I was waiting for someone else to mention the "bud bloomers". These are new heathers, I just found them last year. There are several varieties, the ones I have are a deep purple, red called alexandra and a white one called annette. They are wonderful because the buds form and are nicely colored then they turn to the flower color but they never open. Therefore you never get the dried flower pods and they 'bloom" almost all year. They are very nice plants, if you find some try them. Of course since they do not get pollinated, they do not seed so must be started from cuttings. They are my favorites.
    Rebecca

Sponsored