Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wondering if I screwed up

Posted by anitje none (My Page) on
Thu, May 30, 13 at 17:46

I planted six Erica x darleyensis (Mediterranean pink and Mediterranean white) today that I purchased at a deep discount from Lowes. I'm not sure what is the pH of my soil....I live in Western Massachusetts (Connecticut River Valley) and most of the soil in my region is sandy loam or loamy sand- I think on the acidic side but not sure. (?!).

Anyway, when I planted them, I mixed the native soil with Miracle-Gro Plant and Vegetable Garden Soil Mix (which I believe contains manure, peat moss, etc...not sure exactly). Now that I have done the deed, it dawned on me that such soil mix might not be good for Erica because I read that it likes poor soil....for all I know the Miracle-Gro may be alkaline.

The site gets mixed sun and shade depending on time of day.

The guy at Lowes, who seemed pretty knowledgeable for a guy at Lowes, said that this stuff flourishes no matter what- I find that hard to believe from my reading,

Any ideas? Am I probably OK?

Thanks.

anitje

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wondering if I screwed up

Sorry so late in responding - this is not a very active forum

I do think you are probably going to be OK :-) But for future reference in planting heaths and heathers......
* Don't listen to anyone at Lowe's - they really do not know much unless an avid and knowledgeable gardener in their own right.
* Most soils in MA (and most of the east coast) ARE acidic and should be fine for heaths and heathers.
*These are really full sun plants - at least 8 hours a day. Some very early or late shade is OK but not much.
*And other than well-drained, acidic soil, these plants are very forgiving of soil conditions. Personally, I would never add Miracle Gro soil - first because it is too expensive and unnecessarily fertilized and second, because it is just not a very good quality soil.

Hope your Med pinks and whites are doing well :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here