Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madsud_gw

heaths and heathers source in mass

madsud
19 years ago

I've been interested in heather and heath for quite some time - all from magazines and books. I don't really ever see them in the nurseries in metro west Boston. Therefore, I've been leary - often wondering how they would grow here in zone 5 - and what kinds, and where to purchase - non-mail order. Any tips, suggestions, recommendations?

Comments (19)

• hardrockkid
    19 years ago

You might also find this info helpful... although titled, (Growing Heathers in Cold Climates,( it focuses on New England.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heathers in Cold Climates

• sedum37
    19 years ago

I've put in several mail orders with Rockspray Nursery in Truro, MA and found them great to deal with and would highly recommend them. The plants always come well packed and healthy. If you are new to heathers, they can advise you on what plants to pick depending on the size of your garden including recommendations based on plant height, color, spread, bloom time, etc. They have a starter collection and theme collection series where you answer some basic questions and they pick out the best varieties for you. Be aware that some of the heathers sold at discount box stores may not be hardy to this area (Massachusetts). If you want to pick your plants out your self, Rockspray will be at the Tower Hill Botanic garden in Boylston, MA plant sale on June 5th. Rockspray used to have a nursery open to the public in Truro on the Cape but I'm not sure if it is still open to the public.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rockspray Heather Nursery

• capecodderMA
    19 years ago

I live on Cape Cod and had several beautiful 4 year old winter heath plants. Unfortunately they all died from this severe winter we just had. And every homeowner on my street with this plant also lost them.
    They seem to be marginally hardy on the Cape. I would be cautious about trying them in other areas.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    19 years ago

Where I live it gets dowwn to -20 or -22 probably 2 of every three winters. I've had heathers that lived through those winters for a number of years. I got my plants through Rockspray, and when I got one of the starter collections I just told them that I needed plants hardy to zone 4 and short so that snow would cover them. Some years we didn't have enough snow to completely cover them and they survived even though I didn't cover them with pine boughs. If you have soil that is acid, not too fertile, and not too wet, you should be able to grow them. I have loved having them, as they are easy care, beautiful, and have 3 season interest for me over about 8 months in an area that often only has about six months of "garden season" - evergreen, colored foliage in cold weather for some varieties, and flowers from March (through the snow!) to September or October. Mine have even self-seeded. Winter heath (Erica carnea, I think) is a bit less hardy than heather (Calluna vulgaris), but my winter heath lasted at least 6 years before I moved, so I don't know if it is still surviving or not.

Last I knew, Rock Spray wasn't open to the public at the nursery, but I bet you could contact them and ask to have them bring a collection for you to pick up at the Tower Hill plant sale if you paid ahead of time or you could just go there and ask for help in suggesting varieties that would grow well for you. You have a couple of weeks before then to set up a bed for them . . . :>)

• Snowdog_Z5
    19 years ago

I also recommend Rock Spray, I bought my first 10 or so erica and calluna from them this year. Shipping very fast and resonable too. One tip, the 4-inch pots catch up to the gallons within a few weeks.

• DrewBklyn
    19 years ago

I also recommend Rock Spray; they helped me select 9 plants last September for my sun/shade NW garden. All were lovely plants and arrived in great shape. A couple of the ones I originally wanted weren't available, but their substitutions were just as nice. Only one plant (Alba Mollis) didn't make it through the rough winter. Three of the heaths (Anne Sparkes, Furzey and Darley Dale) were blooming when the snow melted and kept blooming bountifully for 2-3 months. If you have the space for a good variety, take the time to pick a group of plants that will give you some blooms almost year-round. I think Rock Spray may even offer a set like that. I was afraid our garden wouldn't offer them enough sun, but they're doing great. That said, I did just come across a nice Erica Cinerea at Lowe's this evening that I couldn't resist. ;-) But if your local stores don't have any heath/heather, by all means check out Rock Spray's site/catalog and give them a call. Heaths and heathers are low maintenance, with interesting foliage and the ability to stay in bloom for 2-3 months. I don't know why more people don't try 'em! Just be sure to get them settled well before winter, mulch, and add pine bough protection over them before the really cold weather comes.

• hardrockkid
    19 years ago

E. Cinerea at Lowes? Uh oh...

Well, I could probably squeeze one more in.

• hardrockkid
    19 years ago

BTW, what variety was it?

• catchef
    19 years ago

I live on the Cape, and have also purchased some from rockspray, but this past fall I bought about 30 plants from heathsandheathers.com. What a great place!!! Shipping was reasonable and plants were beautiful. They are in Washington state. They have the largest variety I've ever seen. I think they may also sell collections by zone.

• birdtalker
    18 years ago

I found a site on the web wolfcreekgardens.com that have some callunas etc.

• lcullum
    18 years ago

Rock Spray Nursery is open to the public now..they have a new store and owners. Also at the Tower Hill Sale this Sat, Sept 10. Their website has info on all of this. I order from them every year and have been extremely satisfied. They also offer a free catalog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rock Spray

• Claudia_Elkhart
    18 years ago

I scoured the web and finally decided to purchase from Rockspray. I ordered a dozen mixed. One did not make it. I contacted them, and they weren't interested in sending me a replacement and basically told me to get in touch with local nurseries for help with amending my soil. I didn't like their lack of helpfulness and will not order from them again. Good luck to those to decide to try them. I hope all goes well.

• carol23_gw
    18 years ago

I have a lovely Bruckenthalia from Rockspray. A friend ordered one for himself, one for me. Both of us were impressed with the plants and more than a year later, they are growing well in both gardens.

• sedum37
    18 years ago

Claudia -- sorry for your bad experience with Rockspray. They do have new owners since I last ordered from them 2 years ago. I dealt with the company when it was owned by Kate Herrick. I put in several orders and never had a problem and they always responded to questions. One time they gladly replaced a heather that was in poor shape on arrival. They told me to plant it and they would send a replacement. I had wondered what it would be like dealing with the new owners. I hope this is an isolated incident.

If anyone deals with them this year can you post your experience - good or bad?

• buyorsell888
    18 years ago

I just received a very nice order from Heaths and Heathers in WA.

I would order from them again. I've never ordered from Rock Spray but have read good things about them for years.

• zeebrown
    17 years ago

HI..I have ordered from Rock Spray with both owners....the new ones are just great and the plants I ordered last spring and this spring came carefully packed and healthy. They are also very nice on the phone. I will keep ordering from them. For those who don't know of these guys, I am including the link to their website.
    Zee Brown

Here is a link that might be useful: Rock Spray Nursery

• Rosemarino
    17 years ago

I bought E.darleyensis at Lowe's this year because it was too pretty to pass up and very cheap. I'm saving my receipt because they have a 1-Year Guarantee on their perennials and shrubs, so I figure, if they don't make it through the winter, I'll bring them in next spring and get a new one for free.

• 1818 Federal (7bEC)
    4 years ago

old post i know... For those growing Heath, i found Erica Darleynesis @ Walmart, clearanced early summer from $20 to $5 (#yay). these pics are from August, about 2 months after planting. i pruned/ cleaned up when planted. Buds now appear to be forming!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH