Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Heather grow in Hawaii

Posted by sunnywaimea 11 (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 07 at 21:31

I live on the cooler part of the Big Island of Hawaii @ 2000 feet, zone 11. It is sunny during the day 65 ~ 80, at night no cooler then 50. No one seems to know what REAL Heather is. I have never seen it here. I think it would do really well and I'd like to try planting it in a Whisky barrel. I know it will be beautiful! Also do you have to plant it in a bed? Or can I just plant it in good soil in the grownd. I also wonder if importing it is a problem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Heather grow in Hawaii

There are many ericas (heaths) that grows in warmer climates. Heather (calluna vulgaris) grows best in zones 5-8. You can plant it in any well drained acidic(ph 5.5) soil. You will have a hard time getting it imported to the Islands we no longer ship there. If you have any more questions please do not hesitate to call.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rock Spray Nursery

o

Erica persoluta, often called Spring Heahter is grown as a blooming potted plant and sold at mass market stores and grocery store floral departments. You might try looking there.

o

Some of the South African heaths are grown in Hawaii, especially the parts of Maui (?) around 4000' that have a quasi-Mediterranean climate. They are much more exotic than the ones native to Europe, but you might find one that would resemble the North European heaths. Not sure if they would work for you. Erica persoluta is one of those.

Forms of Erica arborea are native to the highlands of Ethiopia. Good luck finding seed of those! And they grow into huge trees but their foliage is still heath-like. That is an amazing plant which ranging from the Pyrenees (provenances are zn 7 hardy) to the Macronesian islands to the highlands of central Africa.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 1, 08 at 20:40

There would also be the native Hawaiian mountain shrubs with a heath-like general aspect, these could be planted as companions to true heaths (like the South African ones) if nothing else.

The Cape has a positively enormous number of plant species, there could be quite a number of Cape heaths to play with already being grown in parts of Hawaii. Or, it may be possible to add to the list - check with state agricultural authorities.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here