Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scottish Heather

Posted by Kilted_1 Texas (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 23:12

I was wondering if anyone knows if Scottish Heather can be grown in Texas. I am just 40 miles south of Dallas, I believe it is zone 8, and I'd like to grow it in a partially shaded bed close to the house. My fiancé and I are getting married May 2, 2014 at the Texas Scottish Festival & Highland Games, in a somewhat traditional Scottish wedding, and we'd love to have the heather in her bouquet and my boutinnìère and also have the plant as a rememberance of that day.
I know it normally blooms July to October, so if it can be grown, is there a way to trick it into flowering early if kept indoors?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scottish Heather

Not going to be a good choice for you, unfortunately - too hot, too dry, too alkaline a soil. And virtually impossible to grow successfully indoors.

It is not out of reason that a florist could obtain some in bloom for wedding flowers but growing a plant yourself as an ongoing reminder is not going to be very practical.

o

Gardengal48,
Thanks. I guess she and I will have to go with choice 2 for the plants; calas with a few sprigs of the heather. We are both originally from the New England area and I knew it grew there, just didn't realize that it couldn't be grown indoors here.

o

I'm sorry I couldn't offer the answer you were hoping for :-( As a good rule of thumb, plants which grow outdoors happily in the northern hemisphere - like the heather - make terrible houseplants. They dislike indoor conditions because they offer insufficient light, too low humidity and too even temperatures (no distinct seasons or dormant period for vernalization). They typically dry up and die in just a matter of weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here