Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sickly heather....

Posted by flowersandthings MidAtlantic 6/7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 14, 05 at 18:21

So here's my absolutely ! pathetic heather! (calluna vulgaris)..... I planted it last fall. full and busy. :) And now it is well as you can see.... It "survived" the winter and I've been waiting for it to recuperate and as you can see this is all that is left. A bunch of dead twigs and one green branch. Should I chuck it? Is there anything I can do to make it healthier? It's planted in acidic well draining soil. The only basic "need" problem it might? have is dryness? It's in a sloping spot near a walkway and it is pretty dry there. (but we've gotten alot of rain). Ideas?
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sickly heather....

I can't see your pics, but from similar experience can tell you to prune out the dead wood now. Plants will come back; mine have, to be fuller than ever. In my garden most of the damage I get to heather comes in early spring, after I uncover them to shear their tops, which is a yearly must, in March. I have learned to then replace their covering of evergreen boughs until mid to late April, when the danger of sun scald seems to pass.

I had a problem of a different sort, though, in their first spring in my garden: a fungal disease. I watered them throughly (twice, two weeks apart) with a systemic fungicide and pruned out the dead wood. Those affected recovered very well. I follow this practice once a year, just as they begin new growth.

I have read that one or two light foliar feedings during the growing season will aid new growth on affected plants. (I didn't do this.) Once the plants recover, though, cease the feeding; Calluna don't respond well to high fertility. (Don't feed healthy plants.)

Watering. Don't let their beds dry out; mulch until plants are well established. Keep the mulch 2" away from their bases; and always water in the mornings. Aim for dry mulch but slightly moist soil, but not wet! Excellent drainage and acidic soil are musts.

o
RE: Sickly heather....

My heather has turned all brown - should I just cut back and hope for the best?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here