Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texjagman

Replacement for heather in the South

texjagman
14 years ago

I'm much more comfortable in the Conifer forum and this is probably an old question. So please be patient with me.

I'm in the process of putting in a large new conifer bed and trying to imitate many of those gorgeous northern and European conifer gardens who all use heathers for whispy color and beauty mixed amongst the conifers.

I'm in Oklahoma.....hot humid Oklahoma. Asking those that specialize in the plant I wish I could grow, what would you say is the best or closest appearing replacement to heather for us here in the south?

thx Mark

Comments (4)

• texjagman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I should have said, I'm going for a look something like this:

{{gwi:871976}}

thanks again...Mark

• texjagman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't know where my head is at today. I'm not in 8b, I'm in 7a.

Sorry about that.

• patskywriter
    13 years ago

this answer is probably WAY too late, but i'd say try erica darleyensis. that's what i have here in hot, humid north carolina. it does well here.

• mike519
    13 years ago

While not as colorful, you could try some of the Ephedras. They have whipcord twigs and fleeting crops of red berries.
    Some have a good blue green aspect. They are slow but sure from seed.
    There are many dwarf great plains natives that would be very colorful and more certain of success. I'm thinking Opuntias and mat forming composites. Claude Barr named some of the better forms of these natives. Scott Ogden has written some good books covering Texas plants and soils.