Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacement for heather in the South

Posted by texjagman 8b OK (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 24, 09 at 15:20

I'm much more comfortable in the Conifer forum and this is probably an old question. So please be patient with me.

I'm in the process of putting in a large new conifer bed and trying to imitate many of those gorgeous northern and European conifer gardens who all use heathers for whispy color and beauty mixed amongst the conifers.

I'm in Oklahoma.....hot humid Oklahoma. Asking those that specialize in the plant I wish I could grow, what would you say is the best or closest appearing replacement to heather for us here in the south?

thx Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacement for heather in the South

I should have said, I'm going for a look something like this:

Photobucket

thanks again...Mark

o
Update

I don't know where my head is at today. I'm not in 8b, I'm in 7a.

Sorry about that.

o

this answer is probably WAY too late, but i'd say try erica darleyensis. that's what i have here in hot, humid north carolina. it does well here.

o

While not as colorful, you could try some of the Ephedras. They have whipcord twigs and fleeting crops of red berries.
Some have a good blue green aspect. They are slow but sure from seed.
There are many dwarf great plains natives that would be very colorful and more certain of success. I'm thinking Opuntias and mat forming composites. Claude Barr named some of the better forms of these natives. Scott Ogden has written some good books covering Texas plants and soils.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here