Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mixing heathers/heaths with climbers

Posted by lrichards 5, IN (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 07 at 15:39

I have a large bare spot in my front yard where we took out a crabapple tree. I'd like to put up a trellis for some vertical interest and then plant some low growing (8"-12") heaths and/or heathers around the base and to fill the rest of the bare spot. I realize I'll have to amend the soil to make it more acidic but am afraid that the pH will be harmful to whatever I plant for the trellis.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can mix here or should I move my heathers to another spot?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mixing heathers/heaths with climbers

I would recommend Clematis for a trellis. I have acidic soil where my clematis are planted, I have ammended the dirt with humus(which is acidic) every year and they seem to thrive in it. There are many colors and flowering types to choose from. They usually put on a very good show of flowers after their 3rd year. They should do very well if planted in a sunny area.

o
RE: Mixing heathers/heaths with climbers

Heaths and heathers want full sun. Under a tree isn't a good location.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here