Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What variety of heather is this?

Posted by esther_b NYC (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 1:30

Sorry I don't have a pic, but I just got a small plant at Home Depot marked "Calluna". No varietal name. It has beautiful green scaled stalks and vertical mauvy-pink flowers. The young man at the cash register looked it up (although I can't find it on the Home Depot website) and said it won't get more than about 7-10" high. Does anyone have any idea what exact variety of "Calluna" this is? What growing conditions does it like?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What variety of heather is this?

It is impossible to tell from that limited amount of information - there are multiple hundreds of varieties of Calluna vulgaris and many of them fit that description :-) A photo would be more helpful but even that's no guarantee on a correct ID.

True heathers - all varieties of Calluna vulgaris - like acidic, rich and well-draining soils in lots of sun. They are hardy to zone 4 at least. They need plenty of regular water to get established but after that, they can be quite drought tolerant. They should be pruned back annually after the bloom cycle or in very early spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here