Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help for my Daboecia

Posted by greenlarry UK 8/9 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 07 at 9:26

I bought this little ericaceous shrub a couple of years ago and planted it in the front garden where it would get some sun but not be baked all day. It did quite well for a while, flowers every year(is flowering now, albeit weakly) but over time it deteriorated. Its a combination of heavy soil, and trampling feet(kids,dogs etc)thats done it!
I have worked the soil extensively before planting this bed out,putting lots of compost and manure in it but its no good, nothing does too well(apart from a established Forsythia and a Spiraea)-even the potatoes I planted last year to hopefully break the soil didnt come through!
I have therefore decided to move most of the plants out to the back garden where the soil is a lot better, even though it gets a lot more sun, but what to do with this little chap. Thyere not easy to come by round here(not seen one for sale since) so it would be a shame to lose it!
How do these take to pruning-I could do with cutting back its straggly stems and geting some bushiness back.

Cheers
Larry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help for my Daboecia

They take to pruning very well if it is a light shearing right after they bloom. Should be done every year. They do not like hard pruning down to woody stems.

o
RE: Help for my Daboecia/

Thanks buyorsell, I'll have to dig it up and give it a look. I thought of one way to get growth back. Basically put thin wire on the branches like one would do with bonsai, and bend the branches back into the middle so they lie horizontally. This should promote dormant buds to break lower down which will give a bushy centre once more.

BTW, whats happened to the Gallery? Its just a blank page with no postings at all1

o
RE: Help for my Daboecia

This forum isn't used very often. Perhaps they are all archived?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here