Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hardrockkid

Re-thinking my heather bed...

hardrockkid
19 years ago

I think I'm going to have some renovating to do before all is said and done with my heathers.

It started when I bought a few of 'George Rendall' last late summer. Got really into the heath/heather world, and also got overwhelmed by the cultivars available. So I ordered the 'color all year' collection from heathsandheathers.com. Then in the spring I selected a few more favorites from the catalog. Then I added 2 more callunas I found locally that I liked.

So, here I have this bed of random heaths/heathers... growing away (more or less merrily -- aside from winter damage and one cinerea that got too dry). And I've been thinking, "Boy! Just wait till these are mature and filled in, this is gonna be great!"

But now I'm having second thoughts. If I had to do it over again (and, the one of the beauties of gardening is that given some time and patience, I do!), I think I would prefer to have fewer varieties, and to have them planted in groups of 3-5 of a variety together.

I think I might start working toward that. More of 'masses of color' effect. But I'll have to let things go as they are for a year or so yet... so I can decide which I'll 'mass' and where. See what my faves are, and which are growing best for me.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!