Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heaths and Heathers in Coastal SoCal?

Posted by seansmith zone 10 coastalsocal (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 20, 09 at 21:40

We have enjoyed the heaths and heathers on our frequent trips to Scotland and Ireland. Any chance of growing them in our zone 10 socal coastal garden? Anyone know of a good source for these plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heaths and Heathers in Coastal SoCal?

If you can provide the correct growing requirements, I think it quite possible :-) You may have a lot better luck focusing on the heaths (Erica species) rather than on heathers (Calluna vulgaris) - there are many more species for one and the vast majority originate from South Africa or around the Mediterranean.....a little more in line with your climate conditions.

Most will appreciate acidic soils that are well-draining and have been somewhat organically enriched. Full sun is good. While most will become quite drought tolerant once established, they need frequent watering when first planted.......young plants cannot be allowed to dry out.

If none are offered by local retail nurseries (not always a good sign.....generally means plants are not well-suited for your area or are very uncommonly planted), you could investigate mail order. Here's a couple to get you started. I've purchased from both and have no issues with either plant quality or customer service.

http://www.canby.com/hheather/
http://www.heathsandheathers.com/hhweb_001.htm

o
RE: Heaths and Heathers in Coastal SoCal?

I wish there was a way to report that spammer.....

You can plant the Erica persoluta hybrids found at your local grocery store.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here