Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting heather

Posted by Hanako2 BC.Can. (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 7, 05 at 22:09

Heather grows well here on Vancouver Island, and mine have grown so well that I would like to move them to a location where they can really spread out.

My plan was to just prune them when they needed it, but my tiny starters ended up just a mite too close together.

I have seen transplanted heathers that didn't make it, possibly because they were not pruned before being transplanted. I saw no signs of watering after the move either.

I would prune, then move, then water the new location both before and after the move.

Is there a step or two I'm missing?

Hanako2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting heather

What you propose sounds reasonable, although other than controlling the size for ease of transplant, there is not much advantage to pruning them before moving. You should be aware that these do not take to transplanting readily - some plants just don't like being moved and heaths and heathers are included in this list - so your success is a bit of a gamble. I might wait until a bit later in the season as well - October is generally a better time in our climate for transplanting established evergreen shrubs.

o

Your response is more or less what I thought, which is why I was hoping there might be something I was unaware of. I think I'll wait a bit, as you have advised, and then risk the move by taking it one plant at a time, then watching for transplant rejection. It seems to me I tried it once before, and the result was not a happy one, or it could have been an observation I made about a neighbour's similar attempt.

Thank you,
Hanako2

o

I have moved several of my heathers, some of them more than once. I do it only in early to mid-spring, before growth begins and usually after I shear them (see below). I have learned that transplanting will retard the plant's top growth for that year, but not in following years. Be sure to get as much of the root ball as possible, and absolutely keep them well watered after moving them. (Since you have been growing heathers, I assume their horticultural requirements are well met.) I also dose the transplants with a systemic fungicide after transplanting as a precautionary measure.

Shearing and pruning: heathers benefit from having their tops (just below previous year's flowering) lightly sheared in their first three or four years in the ground; this prevents legginess, and plants grow fuller. As far as pruning, only cut out dead or diseased branches that have browned and withered (this sometimes happens, especially here in the NE). This does not set the plants back, and the removed sections will fill in within one to three years, depending on the severity of pruning, without evidence of damage.

o
re: wax begonias

I PUT 30 0R MORE BEDDING BEGONIAS IN MY ROCKERY THIS SUMMER AND THEY DIDN'T DO A THING,DIDN'T DIE DIDN'T GROW.THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF IS I HAD MY ROCKERY COVERED IN WOOD CHIPS BEFORE THEY WERE PLANTED.WOULD SOMETHING IN THE CHIPS DETER THEM?

o

maypiner, why in the world would you post a completely unrelated question onto the tail end of a thread that is almost 10 years old?? Did you not want to get any answers?

Yes, the chips could have contributed to the lack of growth. Wood chips tie up nitrogen at the soil surface as they break down and that can affect the growth of shallow rooted bedding plants like begonias. You can offset this by just a few applications of a liquid fertilizer.

Next time, start your own thread in a plant appropriate forum....like Annuals would have been for this question. And please don't type all in caps. It is very hard to read and it is the online equivalent of shouting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here