Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to heather - advice please

Posted by Ourarka none (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 14:10

Hi guys,

I am a keen gardener but don't know too much about heathers. I have an area between two differing beds that I wish to use to create a heather 'divide', like a mini heather fence.

I am in the southern UK, with fairly acidic soil, and want some heathers I can plant in a row, that will get to around 1-2' wide and a similar height. Flower colour or time is not important. I am wondering which varieties are best, and when to plant them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to heather - advice please

I'm not sure you are too restricted in your choices :-) Of course, some heaths/heathers do not attain the height you are looking for and some can spread much wider than 1-2' but overall, a great many will fit into your size requirements very nicely. And it is also recommended that these plants be sheared back at least once a year to remove old flower stems and to keep the plants tidy and compact - that can help you to keep size in check as well.

Winter blooming heathers (Erica species) can add a lot of interest and color to the garden in winter so they might be a nice choice. However, the largest range of sizes seems to be centered with the Ericas, all the way from rather flat groundcover types to tree forms, but many will fit into your size limits so it's a matter of seeing what's out there and what works for you. I'd think the best place to start would be at your local garden center and take it from there! Planting can be done at any time the plants are available and the ground is workable (neither frozen or excessively wet).

Just a couple of names to get you started. You could consider Eric x darlyensis 'Kramer's Rote (one of the most popular varieties we sell) or Calluna vulgaris 'Tib' (RHS Award of Garden Merit). Both are excellent choices.

o
RE: New to heather - advice please

Thanks gardengal, much appreciated. I forgot to say that the area isn't full sun - it's by no means deep shade either - but will heathers generally be forgiving of not having full sun all day?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here