Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need to worry

Posted by worthwhile1 z5 OH (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 31, 04 at 3:08

I planted some erica darleyensis in April while still in full bloom. I've had no problem until I came home tonight and saw the top 1-2 inches of growth bare of foilage and flower. We had a heavy snow that buried them and a low of about 5 degrees. The last two days, the temp has been high 50 - low 30 range and now that I can see my plants, I see the damage. Will someone please give me some input?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need to worry

Well, being buried in snow is better than that temperature without snow. If you had a Christmas tree or your neighbors put one out, cut branches and put them over your Erica until the temperature is warm enough to not have freeze/thaw cycles. I'd wait until spring and bloom time is done, and then if you have clearly dead parts, cut them back. Also you can trim them after bloom to shape them. I wouldn't trim them now.

o
RE: Do I need to worry

NHBabs advice is good. I will only stress the importance of her suggestion to cover the plants with evergreen boughs, but do so after the ground refreezes. During this thaw, check to see whether or not the plants have heaved their roots out of the ground. If they have, tamp them back into place.

Now the bad news. Erica darleyensis is not hardy in zone 5. However, Erica carnea, also flowering in late winterearly spring, is. And with winter protection, so might be Erica cinerea, which is blooms in summerfall. Reliably hardy are most cultivars of heather (Calluna vulgaris), which bloom from late summer into fall. All require the same horticultural conditions.

Buy from reliable sources, and never trust the tags from mass-market nurseries or plant sellers like Home Depot or Lowes. A reliable source east of the Rockies is given below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heaths and Heathers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here