Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heaths or Heathers that won't need winter protection?

Posted by laceyvail z5b, WV (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 12, 06 at 6:44

I'm an aging gardener looking to ease up on the work in very large ornamental beds. I think I have ideal conditions for heaths and heathers (sandy, acid soil), but although I am a very experienced gardener, I have never grown heaths or heathers and know very little about them. I've only begun to learn something about them, and what I've read suggests that many people cover their heaths and heathers in winter, not something I want to add to the yearly work.

Can you suggest some varieties that I won't have to cover? I'm open to all sizes and foliage colors and am not fussy about bloom time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heaths or Heathers that won't need winter protection?

Sorry, I should add to my post above that we no longer get any snow worth talking about, but occasionally get nights below 10 degrees.

o

Erica carnea is probably the most fail-safe. But some people say Erica vagans is the most drought tolerant. To me they are both pretty tough once established. Do water them their first year if it gets droughty.

Try contacting Rock Spray nursery. Smail mail order plants are probably going to be cheaper than what you can buy at a local garden center. In my experience heaths are VERY easy to establish from small 4" pots. Heathers...a little harder.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.rockspray.com/

o

Laceyvail, did you ever plant heaths or heathers? I've only just discovered these plants and have little knowledge about them. I'm in SE Wisconsin, so I'm wondering how they perform in our zone (also 5b).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here