Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How quickly do H's and H's respond to soil pH?

Posted by paulns NS zone 6a (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 6, 07 at 18:03

In September we were hired to plant a set of gardens locally, among them a heath and heather garden. We purchased topsoil locally. Nova Scotia soil is dependably acidic, gardens require liming every few years. The topsoil looked good - sandy-loam. I assumed it was acidic like our sandy garden soil at home. The man who delivered it knew nothing about pH and wouldn't say where he got it - good topsoil is hard to come by here, and he was protecting his source, I think.

I amended the topsoil with peat - about 1/3 peat to soil - and planted 25 heaths and heathers. A month later I got to thinking...Maybe I should have that topsoil tested. Sent it to the provincial lab. To my intense dismay the pH is 7.1.

I dusted the plants with sulfur and watered it in. That was two weeks ago. They're now covered with about 6" snow. What do you think their chances of survival are, given a good snow cover and mulch over the winter? How quickly do heaths and heathers react to soil conditions? The plants were about 5" tall, in 3" pots.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How quickly do H's and H's respond to soil pH?

Thanks for these ideas Dave. I'll try not to think about them until spring, then get another pH test. We're committed to organic gardening but in this case I won't hesitate to use chemicals, if it means saving the h's and h's. (first time I've ever said such a thing).

o

The snow's finally gone. The heaths look good and are blooming. The heathers look dull and not happy. Just as forecasted...Isn't ammonium sulfate also a nitrogen/fertilizer, which this plant family dislikes? I have some alum (Potassium aluminum sulfate, I believe) on the shelf, could that cause aluminum toxicity?

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 4, 09 at 15:36

I grow blueberries here in Madison, Wisconsin, and we have hard water, that is, our tap water contains dissolved limestone. There is a layer of limestone underground here, I think it covers all of southern Wisconsin. Blueberries require soil with a pH between 5 and 6, so our tap water is a problem when the shrubs need to be irrigated. I have had success by adding white vinegar (5%) that was bought at our local food market. This is standard white vinegar, nothing exotic. Using a pH meter, I determined that 6 fluid ounces of vinegar added to 4 gallons of tap water was about right. The blueberries seem to agree, they have dark green leaves, like they should, when the soil pH is correct.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heaths & Heathers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here