Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elidunn

potted heathers

elidunn
19 years ago

I just returned from a trip to Amsterdam, where I noticed that nearly every shop, bar, and hotel had potted heather outside! It was so widespread, you would think the national plant was heather, not tulips... It seemed that people had all one type of heather, usually four or five plants, in pots about the shape and size of window boxes. Some folks took them inside at night, some didn't. The climate in Amsterdam is very similar to where I live on Cape Cod (maritime, mild, relatively snow-free winters, etc.), and I would really like to try something similar come spring. Has anyone else done anything like this, and how did you go about it?

Comments (4)

• cranebill
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sorry your posts been orphaned for so long. HereÂs my two cents, drawn mostly from Andrew MikolajskiÂs Heathers book:

IÂm assuming youÂre refering to "true heathers"  Calluna vulgaris cultivars  rather than Ericas. But the comments below ought to work as well for the latter as for Callunas. They are reported to make ideal container subjects, though IÂve never grown them as such. They work well in many kinds of containers, including window boxes and hanging baskets. Because they have a long season of interest, theyÂre especially suitable for winter containers. They combine well in containers with dwarf conifers, too.

The container you choose should be porous enough to prevent your heathers from becoming waterlogged  terra cotta, stone or whiskey barrels are ideal. Deep containers will prevent the plants from drying out too quickly. I guess the thing is to achieve the proper balance between moisture retention and loss; remember that heathers prefer a moist but well-draining medium. By the way, what kinds of containers were they using in Amsterdam?

Use "ericaceous" compost or soil mix (I can clarify what this means, if you need to know), half of which can be replaced with garden compost or leaf mold, and you may top-dress with grit to help prevent excessive evaporation from the soil surface.

IÂm assuming you donÂt need the basic "how to" instructions for planting a plant or shrub. [Insert basic how-tos here, and then....] Arrange your plants, leaving at least 1 inch (2.5 cm) between the tops of their rootballs and the rim of the container to allow for watering. Mikolajski suggests that if youÂre planting in autumn or early winter, you could add a few dwarf bulbs to your planting (sounds nice). When youÂre done positioning and planting, water everything in, taking care not to compact the soil. After you do this is when youÂd add a top-dressing of grit, if you want it.

The container needs to be situated in an open and sunny spot, similar to the kind which heathers would thrive in if planted in the ground.

Fetilizing throughout the year is neither necessary nor desirable for heathers, but a top-dressing of blood, fish and bone meals and application of an chelated iron supplement in spring is a good idea. (Heathers have difficulty absorbing sufficient iron when the soil pH is in the low range that they also require.)

Water the container whenever the top inch or so of soil feels dry. Mikoljaski says its best to use rainwater, and suggests that if only tap water is available then the plants should be feed with half-strength tomato fertilizer and chelated iron. He also says that domestically softened tap water should never be used.

Plants in above-ground containers need special protection in winter, since they lack the insulation that the soil would provide if they were planted in the ground. So you must take care not to allow the heathers roots to freeze during cold weather, which will certainly kill them. To protect them, you can cover them loosely with pine boughs, straw or the like, and hold it in place around the plants with some sort of netting or wire, if necessary. DonÂt pack this stuff too tightly around the plants, though, or moisture may build up around them, and this might in turn freeze during cold spells and kill the plants.

You would probably want to use only dwarf heathers for your containers, of which there are so very many. Consider that if you use Ericas in your container collections, not all of them are cold hardy, whereas Callunas are.

Let us know how your plans work out. Have you any idea what kinds of heathers they were growing in Amsterdam? What did they look like? How tall? what color bloom? etc.

Regards,

cranebill

• elidunn
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi! Thanks so much for the informative response. I'll let you know how it turns out -- I plan to start some containers in the spring.
    The heathers in Amsterdam were definitely Callunas, mostly of a deep pink or magenta, only about 8-10 inches tall, upright habit. I'll be going for dense color (which they had), so I'll probably try something similar. I love the idea of including dwarf bulbs, too.

Thanks again, I will definitely update. Assuming the snow ever melts.

• BruMeta
    18 years ago

Ironically, I read about potting heathers in Mikolajskis book just yesterday. I grow heathers upstate NY (in the ground) but am encouraging a neighbor in NYC to grow them in window boxes. How did yours work out? Would love to know, 'cause I think it's a great idea.

By the way, Mikolajskis book is on sale right now at Rock Spray Nursery in N. Truro.

• rockspray
    18 years ago

Hi All,
    In regards to calluna or erica in a pot keep an eye on ph.
    Also pruning is a must every spring. In cold regions protect the pots from deep freezing. Damage to the tender roots can kill the plant. You can move them into a unheated sunny porch or garage. Good luck.
    David

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services