Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floridabear

WANTED: Antique Christmas Cactus

floridabear
17 years ago

I am in a desperate search for one of the original 'Christmas Cactus'. My plant that was over 100 years old finally died under my care a few years ago and I have been searching for cuttings,small plants of an old variety to replace it and start my own 'heirloom plant to pass along in the family. Doesnt anyone have OLD Christmas Cactus anymore? Some one must have the original plant that all these new hybrids came from. I know I dont have much listed in my trade list..if anything. But I am willing to pay postage or swap rooted chalice vine cuttings,fantasy african violet leaves, Vigna Caracalla seeds?

I use to have many stapelias,but I am rebuilding my collection now and have little to trade. But I am open to suggestions to get some OLD cuttings. Thank you.

Comments (11)

• yramesor
    17 years ago

I don't know how old the original was but I have some white Christmas Cactus plants that came from my mother's plant. She died 3 yrs ago & had this plant for as long as I can remember. I also have an angel wing begonia that came from my grandmother's plant. She died in 1988 & the cousins have had cuttings from it going ever since. Will gladly swap with you. What color african violet?
    Rosemary

• lorettad
    15 years ago

I just discovered this post. Did you ever find a source for the original christmas cactus? I have one that came from my grandmother's cactus. It is just now getting ready to bloom. I would be glad to share cuttings.

Thanks Loretta

• hoharris658_att_net
    13 years ago

Hello, I have been looking for some of the original 'Christmas Cactus's'....for some reason they are calling all the newer ones "Christmas Cactus"...Well !!!! they are NOT Christmas Cactus, they are Thanksgiving cactus.....the original does NOT have 'teeth' on the leaves, they have scallops! not teeth.....I have one of the Original ones, & it is RED (with Scallops) I do have an Extra one ....if you are interested. Where to you live???Patt

• wcc_columbia_co
    12 years ago

I lost my great Grandma's 70 year old catus this year when I was sent east for two weeks to work on a store and the furnace and pipes froze. I did shut the water off at the well thanks to past issues. Can't say no in these times. I went to a garden center looking for help in finding one when I could not find one on line and they did everything they could to tell me not to look for the old ones. Does anyone have a link to get one or want to sell one to me?
    Thanks
    Michael J.

• CCStalker
    10 years ago

Anyone still looking for starts?

• Laura
    8 years ago

You can purchase Christmas cactus from Jackson Perkins. Pretty expensive though..

• Shane Hoadley
    8 years ago

I have some that I would be willing to trade as well. My flower color is a darkish pink/ Magenta. I inherited it from my great grandmother when she went to a nursing home, she got it sometime back in the 50's or 60's.

• Kathy Johnson
    8 years ago

I realize this is an old thread, but I would love to get a small piece of any old Christmas cactus anyone is willing to share. I'm not on GW much anymore, I'm mostly on other sites or Facebook now because I'm usually on my phone & this site is hard to navigate on my phone. You can contact me at Kathy5472265@yahoo.com if anyone is interested. I can do postage or trade, depending on what you are looking for.

• Patricia 5A Roe
    7 years ago

I just sigup for this site and this is old thread but have fingers crossed... its hard to find old christmas cactus its shot in the dark. my x killed my plants and am so sad been searching but if anyone has extra they could spare be appreciated. here is my email ptshiel@aol.com thanks so much

• Kathy Fullerton
    7 years ago

Don't know if any of you are still following this thread or not. I do see someone from August 2016 so here goes... I run a group on Facebook called Holiday Cactus Lovers. We are over 2600 members strong. We have Thanksgiving (pointy edges) and Christmas Cactus (smooth/scalloped edges). Our members are willing to share and trade. True CC is harder to find, but some of us have been lucky enough to have an heirloom CC passed down. Come see us- join the fun and poke around. We are all about learning and sharing. https://www.facebook.com/groups/824177634321374/1208864665852667/?notif_t=like&notif_id=1476367658142378

• blissbooks
    7 years ago

Hi Kathy - Happy to find you. I have a Christmas Cactus that's over 100 years old. I've had it for 50. The woman who gave it to me said it was 50 when she left it with me. It's a double pink. Just starting to bud now. I'll try to get onto Facebook w/you.

Bettie Snyder blissbooks@sbcglobal.net