Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chiillii

christmas bell pepper

chiillii
19 years ago

wish could get some christmas bell pepper seeds from anyone who had them.

Comments (4)

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

Chilli,

Christmas Bell is C. baccatum, was introduced from the Netherlands and is not an heirloom as far as I know.

It 's also known as Joker's Hat and also as Balloon , b/c i t's shaped like a bell, but a bell that rings, not the ty pical bell pepper shape we know.

Seeds are very available and I've linked below to a Google search for Balloon peppers seeds.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Balloon Pepper seeds

• bmckay
    19 years ago

Are you referring to the small (2-3 inch wide, 1-2 inch high) flat red peppers popular with Italians (they sometimes call them Christmas Pepper, other times St Nicholas. [they don't call them St Nicholas in Italy of coruse] If so, they are officially known as Topepo Rosso (red top). They come in both a sweet version and a hot one. Usually they are pickled. I know one is not supposed to promote one's own business, but as far as I know, I am the only one who sells both varieties. Harris seeds used to sell them years ago; not sure if they still do. Harvest Moon Farm may have them but I am not sure.

REgards

Bill McKay

Here is a link that might be useful: Seeds from Italy

• donna_in_tn
    19 years ago

I have tried to grow them in TN but our season was too short. We have a 180 day frost free season here, with pretty hot, humid summers. Even with starting plants early and covering them for the first frosts, we can only get maybe 210 days growth. I have seen them grown in Florida, where they did very well. Can you post your zone and what type of climate you are in on your page? That would be helpful in future if you ask for seeds or make comments on how things do for you. Donna

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

Donna,

The poster lives in China and I'm sure they don't publish gardening zone areas there.

Carolyn, who still thinks you're the Donna I knew from SSE who used to send me her tomato request list one year in advance. LOL Are you not?