Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pie Melon?

Posted by rich_in_nfpa Z6 S Central PA (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 23, 07 at 9:37

Does anyone have a source for pie melon seeds? Years ago, when they were living on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, one of their neighbors gave my parents seeds of a winter squash known as pie melon. They grew them for several years and Mom would make a pie similar to pumpkin pie or sweet potato pie.

According to Mom they had a long neck and a fat body. The flesh was a lighter orange than a canteloupe/muskmelon and the seeds were in a cavity in the center instead of dispersed through the flesh like a watermelon. The skin was solid green although she knew of varieties that were striped.

At one time I believed they were a type of cushaw melon but now I'm not sure. I've Googled "pie melon" but couldn't find anything that sounded like her squash.

Thanks for any help.

Rich

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pie Melon?

It sounds like a butternut squash. Taste is just like pumpkin or even sweet potato.

o

I'm certain it's not butternut squash. Mom would have recognized them from the grocery store. The next time I talk to her I'll try to get a better description.

Rich

o

Last fall Homestead Gardens in Davisonville (sp?) sold a wide variety of squashes, one of which looked a lot like a green-striped butternut squash on steroids -- I think they called it a Heirloom Goose squash or something like that -- it was about the size of a goose, with a fat body and long neck. Worth checking out?

Lynn

o

It is in all probability Tahitian melon

o

I was flipping through the J. L. Hudson catalogue and happened to remember this post. It's a long shot, but they list, under winter squash, 'Amish Pie' (Cucurbita pepo). And I quote, "Large, pale-orange squash are oval and slightly pointed, weighing up to 80 pounds. One of the finest varieties for pies, canning, or freezing, with very thick, firm flesh. Heirloom from an Amish gardener in Maryland."

It doesn't sound exactly like the ones you remember, but I thought I'd offer it up. A quick Google search shows that this variety is available from other sources too (they all list it as different weights at harvest).

Good luck!
kent

Here is a link that might be useful: Amish Pie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here