Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rich_in_nfpa

Pie Melon?

rich_in_nfpa
17 years ago

Does anyone have a source for pie melon seeds? Years ago, when they were living on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, one of their neighbors gave my parents seeds of a winter squash known as pie melon. They grew them for several years and Mom would make a pie similar to pumpkin pie or sweet potato pie.

According to Mom they had a long neck and a fat body. The flesh was a lighter orange than a canteloupe/muskmelon and the seeds were in a cavity in the center instead of dispersed through the flesh like a watermelon. The skin was solid green although she knew of varieties that were striped.

At one time I believed they were a type of cushaw melon but now I'm not sure. I've Googled "pie melon" but couldn't find anything that sounded like her squash.

Thanks for any help.

Rich

Comments (5)

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

It sounds like a butternut squash. Taste is just like pumpkin or even sweet potato.

• rich_in_nfpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm certain it's not butternut squash. Mom would have recognized them from the grocery store. The next time I talk to her I'll try to get a better description.

Rich

• lynnt
    17 years ago

Last fall Homestead Gardens in Davisonville (sp?) sold a wide variety of squashes, one of which looked a lot like a green-striped butternut squash on steroids -- I think they called it a Heirloom Goose squash or something like that -- it was about the size of a goose, with a fat body and long neck. Worth checking out?

Lynn

• farmfreedom
    17 years ago

It is in all probability Tahitian melon

• slubberdegulion
    17 years ago

I was flipping through the J. L. Hudson catalogue and happened to remember this post. It's a long shot, but they list, under winter squash, 'Amish Pie' (Cucurbita pepo). And I quote, "Large, pale-orange squash are oval and slightly pointed, weighing up to 80 pounds. One of the finest varieties for pies, canning, or freezing, with very thick, firm flesh. Heirloom from an Amish gardener in Maryland."

It doesn't sound exactly like the ones you remember, but I thought I'd offer it up. A quick Google search shows that this variety is available from other sources too (they all list it as different weights at harvest).

Good luck!
    kent

Here is a link that might be useful: Amish Pie

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!