Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelleyh_gw

heirloom seed catalogues

shelleyh
16 years ago

Can anyone tell me what the best catalogues are to order heirloom seeds from?

Comments (7)

• booberry85
    16 years ago

Try Bakers Creek Heirloom Seeds or Seed Saver Exchange.

The web address for Bakers Creek is:
    http://rareseeds.com/

and Seed Savers is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Savers Exchange

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi Shelley,
    I posted a list on another thread.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Where to buy Seeds

• farmfreedom
    16 years ago

try :"native seed search" ,tucson Arizona .They are on line .Burpees also had a heirloom division .

• flatlander
    16 years ago

You can't go wrong with Baker Creek. Nice folks, great service, reasonable prices and a great selection. Now that Seed Savers seem to be in a state of turmoil, all my orders are to Baker Creek.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    16 years ago

"Now that Seed Savers seem to be in a state of turmoil, all my orders are to Baker Creek."

Let's not be too hasty. While much has been said about SSE on recent threads (including my own rather lengthy comments), there is no reason to avoid ordering from their catalog operation. If you check SSE (the seed company) on Garden Watchdog, their rating is overwhelmingly positive. It was my overwhelming success with some of their retail seed, back in 2000, that led me to become more involved as a member.

Baker Creek is another great heirloom seed company, and one I highly recommend... which is run by a long-time SSE member (MO GE J). Where do you think he got - and still gets - much of his seed? The same can be said of many "independent" heirloom seed companies, who purchase at least part of their heirloom vegetable seed (in bulk) from SSE. Were SSE to fail, many of those companies would likely soon follow, and the heirloom seed movement as a whole would suffer irreparable damage.

I guess what I am saying (as a dedicated preservationist & SSE member) is don't cut off your nose, to spite your face. Anyone who enjoys heirloom vegetable gardening owes a debt to SSE, without whose efforts there would be few "heirlooms" to talk about. They should not be "punished" (as in boycotted) based upon rumor & innuendo, whether by me or anyone else.

SSE's current "turmoil" is chiefly a membership issue... and while it is of great concern to me personally, it will have no effect on the catalog operation, or on those non-members who order from the catalog.

• flatlander
    16 years ago

probably not the place for a discussion of this type...but.... i also am a dedicated preservationst, and i think kent whaley has accomplished a miracle...somthing that i wish i had done. i hope the board of directors have the same goals.

• fusion_power
    16 years ago

Sandhill Preservation is arguably one of the very best sites to purchase heirloom varieties.

sandhill

DarJones