Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
heirloom seed catalogues

Posted by shelleyh z5 NY (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 6, 08 at 10:26

Can anyone tell me what the best catalogues are to order heirloom seeds from?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: heirloom seed catalogues

Try Bakers Creek Heirloom Seeds or Seed Saver Exchange.

The web address for Bakers Creek is:
http://rareseeds.com/

and Seed Savers is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Savers Exchange

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 6, 08 at 20:35

Hi Shelley,
I posted a list on another thread.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Where to buy Seeds

o

try :"native seed search" ,tucson Arizona .They are on line .Burpees also had a heirloom division .

o

You can't go wrong with Baker Creek. Nice folks, great service, reasonable prices and a great selection. Now that Seed Savers seem to be in a state of turmoil, all my orders are to Baker Creek.

o

"Now that Seed Savers seem to be in a state of turmoil, all my orders are to Baker Creek."

Let's not be too hasty. While much has been said about SSE on recent threads (including my own rather lengthy comments), there is no reason to avoid ordering from their catalog operation. If you check SSE (the seed company) on Garden Watchdog, their rating is overwhelmingly positive. It was my overwhelming success with some of their retail seed, back in 2000, that led me to become more involved as a member.

Baker Creek is another great heirloom seed company, and one I highly recommend... which is run by a long-time SSE member (MO GE J). Where do you think he got - and still gets - much of his seed? The same can be said of many "independent" heirloom seed companies, who purchase at least part of their heirloom vegetable seed (in bulk) from SSE. Were SSE to fail, many of those companies would likely soon follow, and the heirloom seed movement as a whole would suffer irreparable damage.

I guess what I am saying (as a dedicated preservationist & SSE member) is don't cut off your nose, to spite your face. Anyone who enjoys heirloom vegetable gardening owes a debt to SSE, without whose efforts there would be few "heirlooms" to talk about. They should not be "punished" (as in boycotted) based upon rumor & innuendo, whether by me or anyone else.

SSE's current "turmoil" is chiefly a membership issue... and while it is of great concern to me personally, it will have no effect on the catalog operation, or on those non-members who order from the catalog.

o

probably not the place for a discussion of this type...but.... i also am a dedicated preservationst, and i think kent whaley has accomplished a miracle...somthing that i wish i had done. i hope the board of directors have the same goals.

o

Sandhill Preservation is arguably one of the very best sites to purchase heirloom varieties.

sandhill

DarJones

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here