Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
castorp

Full flavored corn?

castorp
17 years ago

I tried growing "Silver Queen," but it was too mild and sweet for me. The same is true for the sweet corns I've bought at the vegetable stand. I would like to grow a robust, full flavored corn, not too sweet. I've been reading up on the subject, and it seems that either I need to try an older variety of open pollinated sweet corn, or I need to grow a dent corn and pick it "green" for roasting ears. I've been considering "Reid's Yellow Dent" because it is said to grow well in the South. Does anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks

Bill

Comments (4)

• farmfreedom
    17 years ago

you can try : "howling mob" "truckers pride " and there is another that the SSE says is the best tasting , check the book "seed inventory " by "ken whealy " . How long is your growing season by the way ?

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    17 years ago

This thread was double-posted to the Vegetable Forum, where it was answered extensively.

• farmfreedom
    17 years ago

I did not find the thread . Also open pollinated golden bantam tastes good .

• kabuti
    16 years ago

I feel the same about the sweet corn & have just planted Reids a few days ago & is already sprouted. I'm going with the O/P corn next year, it is so much heartier, healthy. I want some to roast. We'll see.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths