Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ron_and_patty

Heirloom Rhubarb Varieties?

Ron_and_Patty
18 years ago

Hi,

I can't seem to find any varieties besides "Victoria" that are refered to as Heirloom. Do any of you know any others?

Or if not, do any of you in the SE (Zone7) have a favorite variety that grows well (and is sweet)? I'm thinking of trying to grow "Canada Red"

Thanks, Ron

Comments (3)

• vgary
    18 years ago

Ron/Patty, check this link. They list quite a number of varieties of Rhubarb which are available.
    Gary/Louisville

The Rhubarb Compendium/Everything You Ever Wanted to Know
    http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/

• starflakes
    18 years ago

Greetings,
    In checking the wonderful rhubarb link posted, I wanted to add something on heirloom varieties in that from my experience there are numerous free growing "heirlooms" across North America which are unique to the actual plantings.
    I have 5 varieties and only one is a known listed variety Valentine. (Valentine is a watery flavor to my taste, but works well in rhubarb type cakes.)
    I shared one from my Gramma Dellie with a gal in northern Georgia, she planted it in a pot and it died. I am sure planting it in the ground would have been much better.
    That variety though is huge, reddish green stalks and is a favorite of mine in tang and rhubarb flavor.
    Another variety from Gramma P, is small, completely red, but is so sweet it is almost not rhubarb.
    On the other spectrum, I have a pure green variety which is almost too sour and not enough balanced flavor.
    In that light, I would look locally for plants growing, taste them and see which one you prefer. Hopefully, the person will allow you to have some root slips to propagate in a few years.
    I hope that helps, but rhubarb is more an individual taste and plant than most people ever think, as widely flavored as apples. The challenge is finding one which fits your palate.

• Ron_and_Patty
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the link & the variety information. We will definitely try to find someone growing rhubarb locally, but in the mean time, we were in Lowe's over the weekend, and they had 'Canada Red' rhubarb plants!