Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ala8south

Love Lies Bleeding

ala8south
15 years ago

A friend has been given some seeds of Love Lies Bleeding and is offering to share. We read on the Internet that it is an incredibly prolific reseeder. Anyone had experience growing it? Found a way to control it? Won't plant it no matter what? Also, what about Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate?

Comments (2)

• txaggiegirl
    15 years ago

I have found (central Texas) that the LLB does reseed, much like 4 o'clocks do. However, having said that, they are easy to remove and rather self-determining about where they want to grow. My 4 o'clocks, for instance have moved themselves into a shade area under oaks, very dry with no supplemental watering. I do keep the leaf mulch pretty much away from their area. As to the KMO, I have a hard time collecting seeds because the birds love the plant, both hummers, cardinals, jays, and our beloved mockingbird (that is a joke!). I can't remember seeing a seedling in 5 years of it growing in the sun along the fence.

I hope this helps. MaryAnn

• ala8south
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes MaryAnn, that does help. Thank you for responding. Hmmmm....mockingbird....we have had one in the neighborhood for a couple of years that has sat on a neighbors house and sung, literally round the clock for days. Have no idea when the darn thing eats. Just glad it's not my house. I'd lose it! Last year, for some mysterious reason, we had a far larger number of mockingbirds, I assume they were young birds, in our area than I have ever seen. This summer should be interesting.l