Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bathrick_gw

Seeking Heirloom Raspberries

bathrick
19 years ago

I am seeking several varieties of heirloom raspberries of the nineteenth century, and am hoping that someone has come across them. They are no longer in commercial production, and the only chance I have is that they may be found in a backyard garden somewhere.

I am looking for "Hudson River Antwerp", "Red Antwerp" and "Brinckle's Orange" - though any raspberry tracable to the nineteenth century would be welcome.

Thanks for listening,

Mike

Comments (4)

• reginak
    19 years ago

Mike, I noticed your post isn't getting a response here -- have you tried the fruit & orchards forum?

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

Regina, he's gone much further than that online and Mike, when I saw you'd discussed it with Lon Rombaugh online there was nothing more that I felt I could do in terms of searching/researching for you, but perhaps I should have said that here.

You're absolutely right that someone somewhere has to know those varieties are growing on their own private property and the chances of anyone even being able to ID them, or others from the 1800's is, as you know, exceedingly remote.

Carolyn, actually in the Hudson River area

• bathrick
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Unfortunately, yes I have. I've even checked with the germplasm repository at Corvallis, and was able to get root cuttings of a couple of early raspberries, but no sign of these. I'm hoping that since these were among the most popular and most written about in the 1850's, there might be a patch or two with them in it that someone may have gotten from their grandparent's or great grandparent's patch.

With Raspberries being one of those fruits that everyone remembers fondly going out and picking and eating off the cane, it is amazing to me that so few of the old ones have survived. I expect that they have, just that folks 1) don't know that they have them or 2) know it, but aren't big on gardening and computers.

Mike

• Susanna17
    18 years ago

Mike,

Again, I could just cry.
    Would have loved to have been able to help you with this--I spent most of my childhood on my grandparents' dairy farm and they had raspberry rows and patches to the end of eternity, including heirlooms. After my Grandfather died, and Grandma moved to town a couple years ago, the renters "cleared the weed patches," which translates into bulldozing all the heirlooms that had been planted by my great-grandparents.

I guess stupidity runs rampant.