Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chance1945

Heirloom petunias

Chance1945
9 years ago

Years ago - during the 1950's - my mother grew petunias. Theses petunias were very fragrant and they reseeded. In those days we didn't have a grass lawn. The yard was just plain dirt and was quiet large. These petunias were everywhere and the fragrance was intoxicating. Does anyone know if seeds of this particular petunia are available for purchase? Thanks.

Comments (7)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I suspect I remember the same thing...from Arkansas. The strain was all pale colors, very light pinks and lavenders, and whites. The fragrance was fantastic and they reseeded for years after my grandmother died and my grandfather mowed over them (occassionally I would find and rescue one).
    Sound about right? I have no idea where to find ones like this.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Search Google shopping ... there are several fragrant varieties, and a few of those say they are heirloom.

The usual purple ones, but if you are after the fragrance you might not care about the color.

• jaynine
    9 years ago

Baker Creek, Select Seeds, Underwood Gardens & probably others all sell fragrant heirloom petunias. I know from experience that the Old Fashioned Vining (mix) & 'Rainmaster' (white) petunias are very fragrant.

• valkyrja01
    9 years ago

Hi. I am sort of new here. I was on here for years under a different user name. I'm originally from Arkansas and in Oklahoma now, and have these in my yard that I transplanted. They start out the darker purple, second day they're the pinker purple and third day they're almost white. They have a strong fragrance at night. We call them "yesterday today and tomorrow" plants, not to be confused with the Brunfelsia plant that is more commonly known. I don't have any seed saved at the moment, but I can get you some this summer if you message me and remind me. I'm sure we can trade for something. Or we can try and trade some plants. I'm not sure how they travel. I did transplant mine from Arkansas, so maybe they'll do ok. Seems like they come up fairly early. They pop up all over and I just let them! I love them. Since they've changed GW all up, I have no idea how to message or if you can direct email, or not. Hopefully you see this

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

I have had them off and on. I have seen them in nurseries from time to time - I do believe the Antique Rose Emporium in Texas has them but don't believe they ship their annuals/perennials. Some of the heirloom seed catalogs might carry them - also, perhaps ask on the Annuals or Perennials forum. They are lovely!

Judith

• babylizajane
    9 years ago

I just ordered these seeds a few days ago from Select Seeds. My fondest childhood memories are of "that petunia" with the intoxicating smell and my aunt standing there in the evening watering them. I can't wait to seed them and smell them!

Here is the link: www.selectseeds.com

• Nicola Ness
    8 years ago

I found this thread the other day and bought a pack of these seeds. I am SO excited for them to arrive. It has really got me interested in heirloom flowers.