Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cosmonaut Volkov Tomato

Posted by peedeejones (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 10, 05 at 19:11

Does anyone have the history of his tomato?
I am an Astronomy major and I found this heirloom variety's name very interesting. I purchased a pack and am wanting to know more about it.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cosmonaut Volkov Tomato

Does anyone have the history of his tomato?

It is one of many recently bred in Russia and was named after their most famous pioneering cosmonaut.

That's it, plain and simple. ( smile)

When SSE first received it along with some other Russian varieties I trialed it for them and was not all that impressed although some others seem to like it as an early variety along with Clear Pink Early, another Russian bred variety.

Carolyn

o
RE: Cosmonaut Volkov Tomato

Cmdr Volkov together with Senior Space Engineer Martinov give fascinating talks about space, the space stations MIR and ISS and life in space and we had the opportunity to attend.

For example:
http://www.cawas.freeserve.co.uk/Rogers/cos1.htm

At the end they patiently answer questions and I asked about Cosmonaut Volkov tomato. He smiled at the unusual question, then explained that they had been given Siberian tomato seeds to take into space with them. These were subsequently grown out and were found to be different compared to before (radiation levels in space?). The best were named 'Cosmonaut Volkov' in his honour and have been propagated ever since.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here