Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redbrick_gw

fruit in close quarters

redbrick
18 years ago

I know a lot of us are very involved with preserving heirloom flowers and vegetables, but many of us never consider heirloom (or antique) fruits. The fact that most people no longer have acres of land to work with has a lot to do with it. However, you really don't need as much space as you think.

One of my favorite tricks is a method called espalliering. That's when you grow a bush or tree flat against a wall, fence, or trellis. You could say that grape vines are espalliered. I've also seen Pyracanthas grown this way. On the side of my one shed, I've begun a tiered horizontal pattern with two pear trees.

Another trick is using dwarfing rootstocks. you can grow 9 dwarf trees in the space of one standard tree.

So, what are your space-saving ideas?

Comments (2)

• gcmastiffs
    18 years ago

I grow most of my fruit trees in containers. I have a mini-orchard on my concrete patio that provides us with plentiful fruit, as well as beauty.

Using dwarfing rootstock helps tremendously, as does summer and winter pruning.

Here is one of my Apple trees last year.

Lisa

• redbrick
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Lisa,
    What size pots do you use? Do you have any special tricks that you use? Any particular problems? I really like this idea!

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz