Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fruit in close quarters

Posted by redbrick z6a PA (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 14, 06 at 21:15

I know a lot of us are very involved with preserving heirloom flowers and vegetables, but many of us never consider heirloom (or antique) fruits. The fact that most people no longer have acres of land to work with has a lot to do with it. However, you really don't need as much space as you think.

One of my favorite tricks is a method called espalliering. That's when you grow a bush or tree flat against a wall, fence, or trellis. You could say that grape vines are espalliered. I've also seen Pyracanthas grown this way. On the side of my one shed, I've begun a tiered horizontal pattern with two pear trees.

Another trick is using dwarfing rootstocks. you can grow 9 dwarf trees in the space of one standard tree.

So, what are your space-saving ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fruit in close quarters

I grow most of my fruit trees in containers. I have a mini-orchard on my concrete patio that provides us with plentiful fruit, as well as beauty.

Using dwarfing rootstock helps tremendously, as does summer and winter pruning.

Here is one of my Apple trees last year.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Lisa

o
RE: fruit in close quarters

Hi Lisa,
What size pots do you use? Do you have any special tricks that you use? Any particular problems? I really like this idea!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here