Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdiewi_gw

cucumber question

birdiewi
15 years ago

I grew Japanese Climbing Cucumbers from SSE last year. I saved some seeds and planned on growing them again this year. But I am also thinking about pickling a few which I have never done.

So, should I also grow another type for pickling, or find one type that is okay both for salads and pickling? I am assuming that the Japanese Climbing isn't good for pickling. I had wanted to save seeds again this coming year, but wouldn't be able to if I grow 2 different types, right?

Any suggestions? I am in Wisconsin.

Comments (3)

• tomakers
    15 years ago

IME almost any cucumber is OK for pickling. It depends on what type pickles. I am no pickling expert, but I know my wife uses this type for sliced bread and butter pickles(at least I think that's the name).
    JMO,
    Tom

• deanriowa
    15 years ago

What kind of pickling do you plan to do?

I grow Poona Kheera last year and it has a permanent place from now on in my garden. It is a dual purpose cucumber, I made pickle relish with them and it turned out very good. The Poona Kheera did very well in my 4b/5a zone and has some disease resistance. I loved the flavor as it was never bitter. Note the color turns some people off, but it stopped people in the alley from stealing them.

Dean

• knittlin
    15 years ago

"I had wanted to save seeds again this coming year, but wouldn't be able to if I grow 2 different types, right?" Yes, you can, IF you take measures to prevent the two types cross pollinating. That would be to bag some blooms before they open (some of both male and female ~ cover with lightweight paper bags or make some reusable drawstring ones out of floating row cover ~ make sure to seal the openings well when you put them on the blooms), take the bags off to hand pollinate once they open, then bag them immediately afterwards to keep bees out. Alternatively, you could "cage" them ~ simply cover the entire plant with something to exclude pollinators. This can be as simple as floating row cover (make sure to seal the edges well) or a bottomless box made of some sort of frame (wood or pvc pipe) and covered with window screening or floating row cover. Either way you do it, just make sure to save seeds only from blooms that have not been uncovered at all when open. And mark the ones you've hand pollinated ~ it's a real bummer when you don't do that (says the voice of experience ;).