Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corn

Posted by opie12 8 MS (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 10, 09 at 22:01

I was looking through my SSE catalog and was intrigued by "Blue Jade Corn" has anyone here ever grown it? Any comments on taste? It says that it can be grown in containers, which I would love to do since last year all of the corn I planted was eaten by raccoons. I would like to put it on my porch where the dog and cats can keep the racoons away, but if the taste is no good then its not worth it. Anyway, any comments/suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corn

If you used to modern sweet corn, you may not like the taste. I have encountered few people who have grown and they did not care for it. On the other hand if you are use to the older open pollinated corn, you may like it.

o

Any other corn that is well suited for container growing?

o

About your only options in the three foot tall class, are Blue Jade, Orchard Baby and Helwig Sweet. Orchard baby has mixed reviews.
More choices are availble in 4-5 ft class. Seeds of Change promotes Hooker's Sweet Indian. Golden Bantam will average around 5 feet and is the best open pollinated corn that I have tried.
Many of the 60 - 70 day hybrids will be under 5 ft. Examples are Sunglo, Silver knight, Trinity, Quickie ...
Ihave not found any of the extra earlies to have the flavor of a main season cultivar. This is Silver Knight, the best of the ones that I have tried. I don't container garden so have no idea how well any of the would do.
Silver Knight

Here is a link that might be useful: short sweet corn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here