Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psubrewno

Heirloom varieties for market

psubrewno
19 years ago

I'd like to start switching to heirloom varieties on my farm but don't know much about them. I grow organically and am looking for vegetable varieties that can be grown fairly easily and that would do well at a farmers market. Any suggestions?

Comments (6)

• robbins
    19 years ago

We grow certified organic and specialize in heirlooms - tomatoes, melons, pole beans and cowpeas. Most do just fine on our farm and our customers love them. It does take some educating of your customers to get them to understand that you are growing taste and quality and some things may not look just as they would in the local grocery store.Most people are now aware because of all the magazines etc. and they really appreciate the heirlooms and are willing to pay for them. Good luck -

• gardenlad
    19 years ago

I would check out the Garden State Heirloom Seed Society (www.historyyoucaneat.org), a seed saving organization that focuses on the needs of market growers.

They can help you decide on the best varieties for your area. Plus, if you join as a market grower, they actually provide free seed for you to trial.

Don't let the name fool you. They have members across the country.

• jimster
    19 years ago

psubrewno,

Last summer a woman at our farmer's market was selling the old variety of crookneck sqaush, the one with the warty skin. I talked to her about it because I love the taste of it and had not seen it for sale for as long as I can remember. The smooth ones and the straight necks don't have that flavor. She said she was growing it at the request of her customers. So there is one possibility for you.

BTW, it is difficult to know whether the seed you are buying is the warty type or the "improved". Check carefully.

Jim

• jimster
    19 years ago

Oops. Didn't realize I was in the tomato forum. Oh, well.

Jim

• gardenlad
    19 years ago

Huh??

• jimster
    19 years ago

Don't mind me. I'm just totally confused.

Jim

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville