Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
motherduck_gw

Squash Recommendations

motherduck
19 years ago

Could anyone recommend a type of winter squash that actually tastes good and would store well during the long winters here? I like growing it but don't usually like eating it. I like several summer squash especially zucchini types.

Comments (10)

• Raymondo
    19 years ago

You're caught between a rock and a hard place. There's not much for it if you don't actually like the taste.

Which winter squash have you tried so far?

• garnetmoth
    19 years ago

and, how have you tried your winter squash? I dont like them served like a regular vegetable, but like yams with brown sugar, butter, and maybe some nuts. :-)

• motherduck
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Usually baked it with butter and seasonings.

• garnetmoth
    19 years ago

Ive heard Delicata is supposed to be great, and someone on here was awesome enough to hook me up with a couplea seeds.

• galina
    19 years ago

Red Kuri, Queensland Blue and Buttercup are great. Bite size pieces sauteed with olive oil and garlic tastes wonderful.

QB store until May and Buttercup nearly as long.

I like dense fleshed varieties with a lot of flavour.

• laurelann
    19 years ago

Delicata and Baby Dumpling squash are small, tender and mild in flavour. One squash will nicely feed two people. I bake mine with butter, maple syrup and fresh nutmeg. If you are not a huge squash fan, the delicata may just turn you into one. They are green and yellow or white striped. Delicata is longish, and baby dumpling is round (or vice versus)

Laurelann

• motherduck
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'll give some a try. Does Delicata store well?

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

Does Delicata store well?

No, not for very long, like maybe a month, unlike the butternut, buttercup and other winter squash types that store for many months.

Carolyn

• western_meadowlark
    19 years ago

I like the buttercup, and it stores very well for me. Usually until the next Feb. at least.

I cut the top off, scoop out the seeds and stuff, put some butter and brown sugar inside, replace the top and bake until soft.

• donna_in_tn
    19 years ago

Look at the Fedco catalog, you can read it online. they are in Maine so sleect for short seasons. Look at their winter squash, and look for the earliest winter squashes you can find. Down here in Tennessee, we have a long hot summer but borers get the maximas, which are the best. I think that you'll find the bush buttercup and bush butternut are the earliest, both excellent quality and close to sweet potatoes in color and sweetness. Donna