Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Pregnant Onion' houseplant

Posted by
Val - 8
(VFord12982@aol.com) on
Tue, Feb 29, 00 at 7:33

Does anyone have any information on this plant? It is a green bulb with a single onion 'leaf' sprouting out of the top - it gets 'baby' onions growing off the sides of it every once-in-a-while. A friends is putting out a flower stalk - at least that what she thinks it is. It is definately an 'old-fashioned' house plant - we have all gotten ours from an older lady in the area. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Pregnant Onion' houseplant

I have one, a fellow vendor at a farmer's market, gave me 2 years ago. He called it a false onion and said they are poisonous to eat. Mine is huge and making babies right now. I will look forward to a flowe stalk in the future.

Lucy

o

I think it is called Ornithogalum caudatum, or Pregnant Onion.
I have had one myself ages ago, but never saw it flower. It is supposed to have a white racme. Trouble free in cultivation.

Good Luck with your plant,

Ingrid in Sweden

o

I have a pregnant onion houseplant, in a small container, which is now blooming with babies, and the mother plant seems to be losing its firmness. Questions: (1) Are these plants supposed to stay pot bound? (2) Is it advisable to remove the babies and transplant them for their sake as well as for the sake of the mother? Please email me. Thanks!

o

A mature Pregnant Onion can reach the size of a baseball! Then it splits into two or three plants. But before it gets that big, it produces many, many babies. Wait until the babies make their first leaves before picking them off of mama. I usually wait until the leaves are an inch long or so. Then I stick them into starter pots. I plant them half in, half out of the soil. I really crowd them in the pots and most of them survive. It takes a month or so for the first roots to form, and at least one more month before they are ready to transplant. Sometimes a baby will root itself next to mama, just dig it out and pot it up! The flower stalks are very long, mine have always been longer than two feet long. A tassle of sterile white flowers form on the end, and they bloom from bottom to top. The plant's leaves are also very long, if you put them on a stand where the leaves can hang free, they can be three feet long or more. The leaves are flat and strap-like and drape over the bulb. This bulb can store water, so if you miss a week, the plant will probably be ok. If you forget a couple of weeks, the outer layer of skin will get pale and very wrinkly. (the inner core remains solid, though). However, if the *entire* plant is soggy and wrinkly, there is something wrong with the plant. My guess is overwatering, or some other problem with the plant's roots. The only pest I've seen so far is scales. This is a hard little monster to beat on this plant because they can hide in the "neck". Grr. Besides this, they are a very tough, easy plant to grow in the house!

o

Does anyone know where I could get my hands on one of these? They sound really neat. :o) Thanks!

o

yea...me too....I'd like one. But are they really poisonous?

o

I just bought a huge pot of Pregnant Onion and the contanier is beyound full. I will have to cut the container off to be able to transplant.Iam scared of hurting the plant during this time any suggestions????

o

You can use the leaves like aloe vera, not as effective though. Keep them on the dry side and they make more babies. I keep mine outside for the summer months, they seem to like this otherwise keep it on a sunny window. They have white, and sometimes you find one with yellow flowers. Fertilze half stregnth monthly except in the winter.

o
RE: 'Pregnant Onion' houseplant Again...

I Have a pregnant onion or I should say alot of them now...:-) My experence is that they like a north or east window facing and are some what a drought tollerant. My neighbors never ever had seen one before. I got mine from a plant farm that I used to work at a long time ago. If any one wants me to mail them a baby feel free to email me .. BYE.....

o

They seem to be available in most nurseries in S. California. My in-laws have had them in their backyard by the beach in the same small square homemade wooden pot for years. It finally fell apart and I planted them right in the ground a year ago. They are doing fine tho I can't remember when they last blossomed. I got turned onto some elsewhere a few years ago and put them right into the ground. I treat them just like my succulents, infrequent waterings and they have done great plus yellow flowers on long stalk. I have never fertilized or fed them. We are in coastal mountains that get inland valley hot weather. They also seem to do well both in full sun and partial shade.

o

I have some that have been growing on the east side of my garage for the last 7 years. a friend gave them to me and said they were "winter onions" why "winter, I don't know, but they sound exactly like what has been described here. I have yet to try to eat one and i have been trying to figure out what purpose they could serve before I get rid of them. I lately have been letting at least one go ahead and complete it's cycle. They are next to my bohemian garlic which grow the same way, but on a smaller scale.

o

Just hang in there! I'd had mine for about a year, too, and then all of a sudden babies AND a long stem w/the little flowers! Planted in a terra cotta pot, full sunight in southeast Texas. Water only occasionally, and you will succed!

o

• Posted by
    Renee D. Jay - California
    (renjay1@aol.com) on
    Fri, Oct 20, 00 at 6:37

Hello,
I am looking for a pregnant onion houseplant. I had one at age of 16. We moved
and my Dad didn't think it would survive the move so I had to leave it behind. Now
I'm 42 and have been looking for one again for several years. Most nurseries didn't
know what I was talking about. Others just didn't carry them. I finally got smart and
looked it up on the Internet and behold I've found you.
Would you be willing to part with one baby plant? I'd be greatly appreciative. I got
such joy out of watching the mother plant grow babies. My plant had approximately
10 babies before I had to leave. I planted each one in their own pots and even gave
them names. Was silly but fun.

If you would be willing to part with one contact me through email for my address and
any information you need or what you would want for one.

Sincerely,
Renee Jay

o

Should the flower spike be cut off after blooming, and if so, how far down? Thanks

o

Hi, I had a Pregnant Onion for about ten years, I kept repotting it in ever larger pots, it ended up around six inches diameter with a constant flower on a stalk of about five feet in length. At one time a second flower on it's own stalk started to grow before the first one had shrivelled up and was able to be gently eased from the bulb. It kept up a constant supply of babies, my wife ended up throwing it away as the petals kept falling off. It sat on the floor in a south facing window in a twelve inch high terracota pot. I have just been given two of these onions by my sister, they generations of my original plant. Don't try and eat them, they are poisonous.

o

Hi!
My girlfriend and I have been searching for a source for Ornithogalum caudatum, (false pregnant onion). She had one given to her many years ago. Unfortunately, it recently met an untimely demise! :-( We would like very much to replace it. We live in a small town in the North East. None of the plant shops in our area are familiar with the Ornithogalum. Are any of you out there able to assist us in finding this plant for us? You are welcome to contact me at the provided e-mail address. Thanks!
-Michael

o

Let me add my voice to the chorus!! I had a pregnant onion about 20 years ago. I lost it in a housefire. I'd love another, as mine was large (5 to 6" in diameter) and I miss it badly! Please email if you have a spare bulblet????

Gram

o

Well, folks, I've had this plant for almost 30 years and in that time, I have given away probably two dozen to friends. My "mother" is the size of a soccer ball, her 'daughter' (age 29) is the size of a very large softball. Daughter is in a pot with approximately 100 other onions, some of which are still attached to her, others just rooted in her pot. I have about 20 other pots of onions all around my house-granddaughters, great granddaughters, great, great granddaughters! They really have wonderful medicinal value---not the leaves like aloe, but rather the onion itself. Here's a story for you: About 15 years ago, I was walking thru the woods with friends and was attacked by a SWARM of bees living in a nest in the ground that I obviously kicked up. It felt like someone had put a lit cigarette on my side right about my waist...when I looked down, I saw I don't even know how many bees all stinging me at once...it was so painful, I cannot tell you...I went home and immediately plucked a baby off the mother onion, split it in half and applied both halves of the onion to my side, covered it with a bandage, and went to bed...I was in such pain I cannot tell you....the next morning, I took off the bandage and low and behold, there was absolutely no evidence of any injury to my side, but the onion I had placed there the night before had 11 bee stingers on it! This plant is also wonderful, applied as I just mentioned above, for burns...in my opinion, it works better than aloe, and in fact, I have given away my aloe plant and only use the onion now. I have thought for years the proper name for it was Brazilian Healing Onion...can't verify that for sure. It also works well applied as above to a sliver that you cannot get out. Just place the onion on the sliver, cover, wait 24 hours, and when you remove the onion, I bet the sliver is on the onion!
My onions flower constantly, sometimes giving me two or even three flowers at the same time. The flower stems range from 5 feet to 18 feet long with flowers on the end ranging from 10 inches to over 18 inches. They are so big and heavy that I have to hold them up with ribbon attached to the window frame. I have read here that people put them outside for the summer...it has been my experience that when you do that, you are leaving yourself open to insect infestation, and sometimes you bring that inside in the fall with the plant. This plant has been a conversation piece in my family for 30 years. My son (now 25) has become the next generation of onion-loving people...giving his babies to his friends, who are giving them to their friends....etc. It is just the most wonderful plant I could ever hope to have.

o

I have alot of them. They grow in one of my flower beds.
Stay out side all summer & winter.Take care of them just as I do with any other out side plant. Have them for about five years now.

o

• Posted by Idic NC zone7 (My Page) on
    Sat, May 11, 02 at 22:01

Thanks for all of the info - My husband just came in from work with a baby " Onion something" that a customer gave him. A quick check here and now I know that I am the proud mama to a baby pregnent onion : ) LOL

o

Had them, tons of babies but no flowers. I donated all of them years ago. Now hearing about their healing powers I would love to try again. Anyone willing to share? Please contact me.

o

Pregnant Onions are poisonous. Try this web page for information on the 'Pregnant Onion'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ornithogalum caudatum Ait.

o

Moving this back to the top. Would love to hear more and possibly find one of these wonderful sounding plants. Thanks

o

Hello to all:
My pregnant onion came from my Mom's plant, which came from her Grandmothers plant, of which no one knows its origin. All total it is from a plant that lived over a hundred or more years ago . My granny told me that they are usually around seven years old before they start bloom. I have a few babies to share. Please email me if anyone would like one. They are poisonous so please use caution if you a have baby or young children. Does anyone have an solid green (not Variegated) spider plant that they are willing to trade?

o

I recently adopted a treasure trove of plants when a dear elderly lady at my mothers' church passed away. Among the many plants was a 6" pot literally busting open with pregnant onions. There are 3 bulbs that are at least 4" across and two more that are golf ball size...not to mention too many babies to count and most of them with leaves! One of the larger bulbs is blooming and all of the large bulbs have babies apparent under the skin. It has been flourishing this way in her southern CA garden (outside). I'm in Northern CA so its a little cooler. Any ideas how to repot this deal? Should I separate each of the large bulbs or just plant the whole shebang in a bigger pot? Anyone in the bayarea want any of the little guys? Thanks!

o

A coworker gave me a huge pot of pregnant onions today. After splitting them with everyone in the office, I am overwhelmed with BABIES!! If anyone is interested in receiving a few of these, please email me. I was told that most of them would sprout and that they're very easy to grow. However, they do take some time to get any size on them so you definitely have to practice patience. Would appreciate exchanges of just about anything but, if you don't have anything to exchange, don't let that stop you. You can "pass it forward" to someone else some day.

o

I think I have one of these pregnant onions. From what you describe it is exactly what I have. Although, mine seems to be dying, I have tried everything from waiting to soil dries before watering to keeping it moist,,,, out of direct sunlight to in the direct sunlight. I do however have it on the floor....the edges of the leaves are turning brown and it seems to have lost some leaves. Any suggestions to keep this interesting plant alive would be appreciated...

o

• Posted by LeJane 6b Southern KY (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 23, 02 at 17:48

Pregnant Onions are very interesting; I've had one for 20+years, but they are messy looking thing at times. The leaves may get two or three feet long or longer on a larger plant, and they tend to die off at the ends; just trim them back to the green and they should be fine. The older bottom leaves have a habit of dying off entirely too. Likwise the outer layer(s) of onion skin will dry out and peel off, or you can just peel them off yourself to tidy things up. In other words, your plant may just be behaving normally. One word of advice (ok, two) Don't keep the soil moist. PO's are a semi-succulent. Also, they are not that crazy about full direct sunlight, or at least mine isn't. Good luck!

o
need one

hi does anyone have one i livein wichita kansas send me an e=mail at vetw@cox.net if you can send me one.thanks

o

I bought mine at Target in early summer, never having seen one before. Now I see them frequently at Home Depot. Usually in the cactus/succulent section. Usually in a small pot --1"-3". Usually less than $3 or so. From my reading here, I think mine gets too much water, but it's still doing fine and I have a baby, I think I'll lay off the watering a while.

o

If any one is looking for pregnant onions I have a ton of babies that are looking for a home. Yes they are toxic. Do not Eat any part of the plant and wash your hands after handling. If your interested in this great plant give me a buzz.

o

i would like some if anybody would gave me one for free or a trade

o

I got several pregnant onions from the swap table of our local C&S Society yesterday. Someone here says their Latin name is Ornithogalum caudatum, but Google had O. longibracteatum. Which is correct? Is one the false pregnant onion and the other plain pregnant onion? How can I tell the difference between the two? And has everyone here who was craving one managed to get one? I can spare a few for postage, if not. One more request--could someone please post a picture of the flowers?

o

I have grown this houseplant for over 15 years and have given many away. My husband's aunt gave me the plant with a strong words of caution. I was told to keep this plant away from children and to be careful with skin contact with the plant sap. Apparently, some people have strong allergic reactions to the plant foliage. I have never been irritated by this plant, yet I can never forget these warnings.

o

Hello there

Thought I would let you know that way down here I have had a Pregnant Onion in my garden for over 20 yrs now.

It didn't like the pot it came in so now lives in the ground along with many 'babies' I have taken off over the years. I have also rehomed many of the 'babies' as well and all seem to be doing well.

They are in a border along with loads of other plants and the only problem I have is that when the flowers are just becoming obvious and the stalk is getting longer the b.... possums have a feast overnight and I have some bare stalks in the morning. One year I will discover a way to wean them off these flowers and the rose buds that are around at the same time:))

As an aside they are also have the very non pc name here of Chinaman's Belly.

Cathy

o

There are two variations of the Pregnant Onion (also known as sea onion). The one that people in this forum are describing is the False Sea Onion which has the long wide leaves. The Sea Onion is much the same as far as the " babies" are concerned but the foliage resembles an Asparagus Fern and has white flowers throughout the foliage with red berries later. It is very unusual to behold. I have the false variety but gave my original Pregnant Onion to a friend years ago with the stipulation that she give me a bulb but she moved to CA and I never learned what became of the plant. Can anyone help? I realize many of the letters are several years old but maybe someone out there is still interested. I do have False Sea Onion bulbs that I would share.

o

I had a pregnant onion plant recently. I've read that it may be used like aloe vera, however, I received a wicked skin rash from it so I guess some people are allergic to it. I finally threw my plant away because I couldn't get rid of the scale insects.

o

• Posted by iamsam 5a Kansas City (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 21, 04 at 23:56

I've had a pregnant onion for about 5 years now, and have given away tons of new plants. Sadly, mine is not doing well at the moment. She sat outside all summer, loving it, blooming, producing...then I had to move her inside for the winter. :( She didn't like it. But it could also be that she was repotted from a clay pot to a plastic pot. In the clay pot she flourished and divided! I think I will pot her back down a size and into a clay pot.

If she comes back for me in a couple of months, I would be happy to share some babies!

o

I tried planting my pregnant onions outside but they rotted during winter... I guess they don't like all that rain... Is there any way I can nurse a soggy-bulbed pregnant onion back to health? I have four living inside with me now that are about the size of gumballs.

o

• Posted by qbirdy z5 Central NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 25, 04 at 14:37

I just got 4 pregnant onion babies and am very happy to have them!! Anyone looking just post in the plant exchange, you'll be able to trade for one easily!! Everyone has had some good advie, thanx!!

o

Hi folks! The lady across the street just bought all the plants they had at the local College here. She has at least 300 plants. At least ten of these plants are Pregnant Onions. I had never seen or heard of them. She gave me two pots, each with the onion the size of a baseball, little babies are ready to be picked off. Amazing. They are definitely root bound. The Horticulturist from the college was at her place and said there should be at least one inch of space from "mom" to the edge of the pot. Also don't water often and keep it in a North window. I could not plant outside, as we speak it is snowing. (sob,sob) Will spring ever arrive. So pleased to find this forum. Good luck everyone.

o

I thought I had one of these plants until I started reading these messages. My neighbor told me it was a pregnant onion, but from a picture I saw mine is not the same. I need some help figuring out what I have. My plant has the same bulb that is half in the soil and half out, but the leaves are not as thick. I have aprox. 30 long and thin leaves. It did "sprout" some new thin leaves in the center of the bulb. I noticed the ends of the leaves getting brown so I trimmed them back to the green and placed it outside. It did not like that one bit. The plant now looks terrible. I don't have any idea what to do with it now. Does anyone know what kind of plant I have? Thank you for your help!

o

love, you might consider adding your email - Val's 4 yr old post has really grown! :)

could yours be a ponytail palm/bottle palm (beaucarena recurvata)

a

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Love,
You just described Bowiea volubilis ( climbing onion or sea onion ).I give mine bright but not much direct sunlight , a quick drying potting mix(dries in two days),I water mine once a week when the vines are present and once every two or three weeks when the vines are dried-up. Too much water and too much sun they develope ugly pock marks.
Good luck and good growing, dd

o

• Posted by jancc westaus (My Page) on
    Sat, May 8, 04 at 10:35

too bad you all can't come over here as i have hundreds of the things. no one wants them.
about being poisonous - my turkeys will eat them if you don't watch them. they are still alive - worse luck!!
i grow them in full sun and very little water, in pots, in the ground - you name it. they are tough little things.
cheers Jan

o

I was visiting a display greenhouse at one of the parks one day when one of the older gentlemen who volunteered there gave me some seeds, and told me the story of their pregnant onion ... an older lady had discovered that she was terminally ill and wanted to find a good home for the plant, so they took it to this greenhouse. It was HUGE and had finished flowering; he gave me some seeds and I started them at home. Very easy to grow from seed! I used to put it outdoors in a pot for the summer, it loved being outdoors.
I found out later that the one at the greenhouse died; don't know the details.
Cool plant, lucky you! I'd absolutely LOVE to have one again (or some seeds to grow one).

o

They're actually popping up in the big box stores (Wal-Mart, Home Depot etc among those little succulents that they sell for less than $3.00 each.

o

What type of soil do they like

o

I started out with two golf ball size pregnant onions about four years ago. Now, I have more than I know what to do with. Mine seem to multiply very fast. And they do have a beautiful white flowers that blooms in the winter months. During the summer, I take them outside and in the winter I bring them inside. Any ideas on where I can unload some of these? Thanks

o

Hey. I received a pregnant onion an a gift when i was about 10 years old. It grew well, had lots of babies and flowered beautifully. I am now almost 20 and hav since moved house and brought the onion (and her children with me). During and following the move the onions have been neglected a bit. They are 3 in each pot, overcrowded and look unhealthy. I have planted two babies and have waited 2 weeks and they seem to be doing nothing. There bodies are drying up but there green stem seems well alive. Wot do I do? I want them to grow!! thanks for your help

o

If anybody wants to "unload" some babies, I am more than happy to take some off your hands! My Mom had a pregnant onion for many years with many many babies. She actually tried killing it once by not watering it for months and months, needless to say, it still survived. Email me flybabytina@msn.com Thanks so much! This is a really neat plant!

o

I planted a little baby one year ago and it's already sending out a flower stalk. It has also produced 3 or 4 babies of its own. Thanks to you all for the great info.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Jrme

o

What an interesting thread! I just found out today what my pregnant onion is. If anybody wants a start, seed or bulblets, I've got 'em. Mine has bloomed for months on a shady porch railing.

Anybody want a start of kalanchoe mother of millions? Have a few of those too.

SASBE for these...

Barb

o

Barb, I would appreciate a start from your kalanchoe "mother of millions." I used to have one and thought it was so interesting. I'd trade you some pregnant onion babies, but you have those. Please email me privately with your address and I will send the SASBE. Thanks so much!

Barbara in Virginia

o

I would love one from anyone ,if anyone still has any.email me at lilangieangel610@yahoo.com

o

I have some small 'Pregnant Onions' I'd like to do some trading is someone is still looking for them. I don't have my trades listed on my page so make a trade offer. (My favorites are tropical looking plants that can survive zone 7.)

o

I used to have a pregnant onion that met an untimely demise. I would love to have one again if anyone has one to send. Melissa_Murphy@bellsouth.net

o

My grandmother had one of these when I was a young girl. I haven't been able to find one since she passed away. I would love a start if anyone has one they could do without. Also, I am just getting into gardening, for myself, and would love starts on any other plants that you could do without. My email is tabbycat1973@yahoo.com.

o

I have a couple of these babies available for trade. I've had my 'mama' one for about 4 years. I bought it at Target for about $3; the size of a golf ball. Now, 4 years later, it's the size of an orange! It's made more babies than I can count. I usually give them away to neighbors & such, but I currently have 2 babies I could trade off now. And just today I found (!) a variegated one at home depot, but I can't find any info on it online. Does anybody have any ideas? This new, variegated one I got has 2 babies popping out right now. I'd like to find out more information about it. The leaves are a bit more rosette like-- more like how a pineapple's leaves are as opposed to the super long strappy leaves of my regular pregnant onion. These leaves aren't a striped variegate, but almost like a leopard pattern of green and darker green. Any ideas?
amanda 'romando'

o

• Posted by hajir michigan (My Page) on
    Tue, May 23, 06 at 19:43

hey everybody,
well, im very new at this website, but im not that new to gardening ever since i was a little girl i have been gardening peas and beans [fun days]. well now i want a pregnant onion but where i live there isnt any gardening places. so i cant seem to find a pregnant onion anywhere so if anyone has an extra baby or anything e-mail me; my e-mail is hajir2o@aim.com
thank you sweethearts!

o

never mind. i got 6 pregnant onions now.

o

I have several Pregnant Onions planted outdoors and are doing very well in the Southern California climate. Two are in clay pots and are softball size with flowering stalks about two feet long and babies all around. The others are in the ground and are golfball size, no stalks or babies yet. Their locations are full sun most of the day and get water two times a week. Have not seen the scales some of the postings talk about. Enjoy!

o

I am interested in finding a pregnant onion and/or mother of millions. Does anyone know where i could find one? Feel free to e-mail me at LisasAvonPLace@aol.com

Thanks,
Lisa & Kayla

o

i just got 6 babies um.. they havent rooted yet. but i water them every tuesday.. is this good that im doing thatt.. how long does it take for them to root?

o

I just pulled up a few of these from my grandmother's house. She had them planted around her trees in the backyard. We pulled up 2 that were the size of softballs and the 3rd one is in a pot with a bunch of babies on it. My question is, how far in the soil should this be planted? Do I need to do anything special to the soil like put rocks in the bottom? Thanks.

Kristi

o

where can i find one of these beauties..

o
'Pregnant Onion' houseplant

I've had my Pregnant Onion for two years, and it is quite large. I recently left the plant with a friend to go to Europe for a four month period, and my friend couldn't stop talking about how easy it is to care for. Pregnant Onions are almost like an heirloom houseplant because they were popular during the early 20th-century, but also because the concept is that one gives a bud ("baby") to a friend who plants the bud, and so on and so forth. There are opportunists who sell these on auction sites for up to $4.00 per bud, but that is a shame. These plants also have "healing" properties (they are known as Meerzwiebel in German, which means "Sea Bulb"), as it is said that a chopped up piece of the stalk will soothe burns and that mixing a chopped up piece of the bulb with sugar will cure colds. Of course, I doubt this is true based on the fact that these plants are known to be poisionous. Anyway, my plant has no "babies" on it right now, but if you want one in the future (when they come off), let me know and I'd be happy to send you one.

o

I have just received a pregnant onion baby from a friend. It is so cute. My concern is I think I may be killing it. When I first got the onion the bulb was green and firm. Now the bulb is kind of brownish and a little bit mushy. It gets plenty of indoor light, and I have only been watering it once a week, or when it appears dry. Also I did give it a fertilizer stick and the pot is well draining. The outer part of the bulb looks like it wants to peel. Other wise the leaves are green and healthy appearing. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong. Any suggestions would be great/

o

Hello
I have never seen a pregnant onion. If anyone wants to unload some babies. And if anyone has any other plants that they can do with out it will be will appriecated.
I had a lots of plants and lost then in a fire. trying to get some back. You can e-mail me at mildred_riggs@hotmail.com
thank ya

o

Hello
If you still have some kalanchoe mother of millions that you want to unload i would like some.
you can e-mail me at mildred_riggs@hotmail.com
for my Address.P/S this is my frist time on this web site so i dont no how this works
Thank ya

o

I got one pregnant onion from a friend a year ago and now I have 4 baseball size moms plus a couple of dozen babies and teenagers. If anyone wants me to send a sprouting bud their way, please email me. I'm overflowing with them. I've already emailed you jellybean2006.

I'm south of Houston, Texas, but I can pack it well so it'll be safe sent through the mail. I've never packed a plant for shipment before, but at least they start out tiny and the US mail has always been speedy for me. However, if anyone has tips on mailing them, let me know.

wendy@etherspring.com

o

jellybean2006, the email I sent you kicked back on me. Is your email working? If you're still interested, let me know.

o

About your pregnant onion plant!
About 15 years ago I purchased this plant at a farmer's market in North Carolina and brought it home in an empty jar in my suitcase, flying home to Missouri. I know this plant as a SEA ONION. It is a member of the lily family and is a half-hardy perennial found wild on semitropical seacoasts of Africa and India. Her generic name comes from the Arabian tribe Ben Urgin, in Algeria. She is closely related to Scilla and Ornithogalum. One of her names is Scilla vivipara which means life bearer. The plant is light green all the way through and sits like a queen on top of the soil which should consist of equal parts loam, leaf mold and sand. Bulbs live a long time and many attain a foot in diameter. The long, straplike leaves may run to five feet or more and the flowers assume the shape of white stars and are borne in short racees on the ends of slender stalks in summer.Seeds will follow the florets and will send up shoots around the base of the bulb. Also bulblets may develop on the surface of the mother and you will note the sides begin to swell and bulge. When a split appears, one or more blbles will pop into view. You can pick these off or let them drop as they mature, to make more plants. The sea onion is a medicinal plant. The thick juice makes an excellent healing ointment for burns. This is an easy plant to grow.

o

if any one could part with one of there babies,id love to get one!!! ive tryed finding one to with no luck.im at nazz1013@aol.com id keep it forever thanks lmk

o

I'd love to have one of these onions as well. I'd be willing to trade if I have something you want. Please email me if you have one you're willing to part with!!

o

I've given away lots of buds thanks to this forum! But I do have more buds developing again. I would love to trade them for some herb plants, like mint or sage... but if you don't have any, that's okay. If anyone's interested, please email me. wendy@etherspring.com

o

TBLadybug, I also live in the bay area. I have had my onion for about 2 years now, and just this spring planted the mother in the ground. It has always been an outdoor plant with no problems except for at times getting too dry when I forgot to water. We have very sandy soil here(Alameda), and it's doing quite well. It also blossoms every year.

jaded1

o

I have a 2 year old sea onion,its as big as a baseball. how long does it take for it to grow to 12 inches???

o

I have always heard the pregnant onions were poisonous. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this? What are the symptoms? I have two cats and when they were 15 weeks old they ate the leaves from 3 baseball sized onions and then played ball with the bulbs while I was gone one day. They cats grew into my loving babies and the onions into my pride and glory. They hung in an east bathroom window and bloomed constantly. The leaves grew to 5-6 feet long and the flower stocks 6-8 feet and the flowers were from 12-20 inches long. They were proped up on the shower curtian rod. The shower was closed! They had more babies than I can count and they outgrew their pot. They never recovered from the transplanting and I moved 4 times which didn't help. I still have them and am babying them along. I moved them outside in their pot so I can bring them in if it gets too cold. I live in Phoenix so that doesn't happen too often. They do seem to do better outside. The bulbs are firm. Their leaves are green, but the leaves are no more than 3-4 inches long. They do have many babies, however. This is 4 years after I transplanted them. I would be grateful for any advise to bring my plants back to their fromer glory. I have heard of dogs, cats, ducks and other animals eating pregnant onoins without harm. Would love to have more info!!

o

Please if anyone has a few preg. onion babies they can part with, I would love to give them a good home. I have been searching for these in my area and have had no luck. Please e mail me at blondetazz09@aol.com if you can offer me any help. Thanks so much:)

o

I have a ton of babies. email me if you want one.

o

I know this is late but,my pregnant onion is having babies and didn't know when to take the outer layer of skin off? so they can grow? If anyone has any personal info from experience or a detailed website they could lead me to on how to grow pregnant onion-please let me know. Thanks,Angela-dior2versace@yahoo.com-email

o

I have something my neighbor called a pregnant onion but mine doesnt look like the pictures I see here. Mine has dark red/brown bulbs and the paper peeling off is red also. The leaves come out the top and are olive green with mottled darker green spots. It does bloom and the stems are long with tiny white flowers. Finally, the babies are not as tightly attached to the mother bulbs and are easily separated. Any information would be appreciated.

o

I just bought 25 bublets from ebay... They arrived safe and sound today (even in the 23 degree weather!) They are soooo cute!! lol I showed off all my babies to my co-workers and now they are all interested in getting some.

I'd love to trade a few for mother of millions if at all possible!

Thanks,

Dani in ND

o

I would love to adopt some babies. Thanks shea

o

I was reading up on the pregnant onion.
I had one given to me that was 75 years old and gave off lots of babies.
Unfortunately I didn't keep any and then moved away from the office that I got it from.
A couple years later it perished and have not been able to find another one.
I would love it if someone could mail me a baby one and I can return the postage.
Thanks,
Erin

o

I have just recieved a plant that my friend called a sea onion i just looked at the internet and found out it was a pregnant onion. My husband says it looks like something from outer space. It is HUGE and pot bound i will have to cut the pot from the plant. and there are vines all over it. my friend that gave it to me said she had to cut some of the vines cause they were climbing and attaching to her plant shelves. I really need someone to tell me how to transplant and seperate the babies from the momma. That is why my friend gave it to me. Her and her husband was afraid to do anything to it they didnt want to kill it cause it came from a lady that we both take care of in and assisted living place.

Jackie

o

Several years ago, I had a large pregnant onion plant with lots of babies. I gave away a lot of the babies to others on GW (posted July 2002). My plant has since died and I was hoping that someone who'd received babies from me might have a few babies that they'd be willing to share with me. I don't have anything to exchange at this point but would be glad to reimburse postage.

o

trying to find a couple babies as had one a long time a go moved around so lost main plant can anyone help thanks

o

I just started my Pregnant Onion garden a month ago...and I have lots of babies. They are so fascinating. I used Grow Max mix in with my potting soil when I transplanted them and I cannot believe how fast they have grown.

o
RE: jeffecwrvt@hotmail.com

I could send you one if you like just email me your information
Gaella (Kathy)

o

I have had a pregnant onion plant for about nine years. I have been looking at this blog and believe that is what I have. It has had many babies and I have repotted them and they are growing. I have also had problems with scales and when it gets real bad I take the plant outside, take it out of the pot, wash it real good with dish soap and water, wash the pot and start again. I had nothing to lose because the scales were getting so bad and it has lived through this type of bath two or three times in nine years.

o

I am looking for a pregnant onion plant if there is anyone out there willing to send me one , I will pay for it...please contact me

cindy

email : cindyod1@aol.com

thank you so much.............

o

I was given some babies several years ago and planted them nothing happened I used the soil out of the pot I had planted them in and one of the babies began to grow. I was wondering I think I have the baby in to large of a pot should you start with a smaller pot? Also anyone that has grown these for awhile any growing knowledge would be helpful. oh one other thing my baby is just barely in the soil should I put more soil up on the baby? Thanks

o

I use to have quite a few pregnant onion plants when I lived in Southern California that I bought off of eBay. I remembered I had a neighbor who grew them and they facinated me. I haven't been able to forget about my plants that I couldn't bring with me when I moved back to Illinois. I miss those plants. Does anyone have a few extra babies they are willing to part with? Please email me so we can talk. My email is snoopy010503@hotmail.com. Thank you.

o

I'd like some bulblets also if anyone has them to spare. I will gladly pay postage.

Thank you,
Susan Shaw

o

I got mine at the Philadelphia Flower Show. It has had lots of babies but so far no luck keeping them alive. I got many tips here so maybe the babies will do better. Thank you! (If I had some to spare, I would share)Check out your local flower show.

o

I have a lot of pregnant onions ranging in sizes ranging from babies to baseball size. Long, exotic leaves (Some 4 ft. long). Amazing flower bloom. I live in California. If you would be interested in getting some, please e-mail me. I've had tremendous success with them. Glad to answer any questions.

o

I have several of these plants and most of them are in my garden. I would be glad to give them away but have one WARNING!! I broke one of the leaves and got the sticky clear fluid on my skin. It burned my skin and the discomfort from it didn't go away until the end of the day. I went online to get information about it and found out it is poisonous. I have this around children and animals and when I got this plant I was told it was safe.

o

My mother in law told me a cautionary tale about a pregnant onion baby that my sister in law almost got ahold of when she was tiny. I've been fascinated with them ever since, but I've never seen one in a store here in Oregon. If anyone has any babies they would be willing to part with, please email me. I don't have much to trade except spider plant babies and I'm not sure how they would travel, but I'd happily pay shipping. wood dot kim at gmaildotcom

o

Very interesting! My 5 cents. Some 20 years ago ladies in Russia shared bulbs of this plant and a tale about how a woman repeatedly saw sick dogs eating this plant and getting well (must have been in the South since it only overwinters outdoors when quite warm). Everybody had it in their house. My turtle loved it.
A few years ago I saw it at the Missouri Botanical garden and got its name.
If your dog wants to nibble on it, he may know what he is doing.

o

Hello I am looking for someone that might have a pregnant onion I could possibly get a clipping off.

o

hey plantlover56...i have ton's of 'em..happy to share with you..e-mail me with details.....annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here