Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deafblossom

Eggplant plants..

deafblossom
19 years ago

Hi..

I have tried to grow some heirloom eggplants seeds indoor. The seeds have not germantion at all. I need your help to find where can I buy heirloom eggplant PLANTS? Thank you, Kat

Comments (6)

• frenchgirl2838
    19 years ago

It took forever for me to germinate eggplants. I did see plants offered at a few places. Try doing a google search and you should find some. Good luck.

• nctomatoman
    19 years ago

You must be doing something wrong - my eggplant seedlings (20 plus different types) germinated in 5-6 days. Some keys are: fresh seed (eggplant seed doesn't last as long as tomatoes or peppers), using sterile soilless mix, barely covering the seed (1/8 inch at the most), keeping moist and using bottom heat. I find eggplant just as easy from seed as peppers and tomatoes.

Craig

• deafblossom
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hey Craig.. NOT FAIR!!! Yeah.. my seeds was OLD! I have been grow eggplant, peppers, and tomoatoe by myself at home for long time.. I wish I could have more time to ordered new seeds last January. Too bad!!

Yes.. Frenchgirl. It take a while to germantion for me. Eggplants seeds may germantion in three weeks for me. Strange about Craig. WOW.. Craig must be a good magic..

I promise myself to order new seeds for 2006. I hope I can find some heriloom eggplant plants for sale somewhere in Arkansas.

Thank you,
    Kat

• kristie8888
    19 years ago

My eggplant took 21 days to germinate.

• nctomatoman
    19 years ago

There is no magic to germinating eggplant seed - even up to 3 or 4 years old it should be easy - I think that the two major factors are warmth (I have bottom heat and a sunny window), shallow planting, and a light, fluffy soilless mix. I also cover the flats loosely with plastic wrap to maintain moisture until they are up. That's how I achieve germination usually in one week or less.

Craig

• gulliblevolunteer
    19 years ago

you can buy some heirloom eggplant plants by mail order. Territorial Seed Co. in Oregon offers some.

Here is a link that might be useful: vendor of eggplant plants