Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maupin_gw

Can you trellis Charentais?

maupin
20 years ago

Is it too big? I use cattle panels and find that trellising cuts down on soil borne disease, so I want a melon with good yield and excellent flavor that I can trellis. I'm in the hot humid don't worry about water zone. Anyone ever trellised Charentais?

Comments (10)

• Tessuv
    20 years ago

What is charentais, please

• maupin
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Melon

• maupin
    Original Author
    20 years ago

melon

• douglas14
    20 years ago

maupin,
    I haven't any experience in trellising melons, but I can't think of a reason why you can't trellis a Charentais melon.
    You may need some aditional support for each melon. I've seen a pantyhose sling mentioned for melons. The nylon can expand as the melon grows. You can try a melon or two without the sling, to see if they it's necessary.

Douglas

• frenchgirl2838
    20 years ago

I am going to be trying this variety this year and was wondering the same thing.

• Alex26
    20 years ago

I have trellissed Charentais and several other melons without giving the melons extra support. I only have trouble with them breaking from the stem and falling when they are ripe.

• adrianag
    19 years ago

So there's no need to put a sling under them? I'm growing Charentain on an arch this year. My next challenge is to figure out when they are ripe. I know there was at least one giving off a heady aroma this morning. I had better get to it before the critters do.

• douglas14
    19 years ago

Adriana,
    The skin color lightens, and may show a yellowish hue.

Douglas

• bill_southerncal
    19 years ago

Yes, I have also trellised a 1.5 pound Charentais and even Galia, which was a 3 pounder. I use concrete reinforcing wire with heavy wood stakes. I tend to pick mine the day before they are perfectly ripe. I don't even want to chance it falling on the ground. Luckly, I mulch with compost and leaves, and I always try to keep the soil aerated. So even the few that have fallen weren't too bad.

• fert1
    19 years ago

I pulled a ripe Charentais today, or at least I hope it is ripe. I first noticed that the stem was dying off, then I noticed the fragrance and that the melon had changed from a white/green to more of a cream color with a slight golden cast to the skin. It also feels a little softer on the blossom end, but not too soft. It only gives a little. With all 3 of those signs, I determined it was most likely ripe. Now I can't wait to try it. It will be my first Charentais.